Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:08:01 AM

Author Topic: Moving a mach3 install  (Read 3549 times)

Moving a mach3 install
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
Hello everyone

I have a mill set up at work to make augers, unfortunately the PC that originally ran it kicked the bucket. As old as it was a direct replacement was impossible so I went with a new PC.

Before I installed the new copy of windows I copied over the root drive of the old PC. Now I have a mach3 folder that hopefully has everything I need in it!

I've got a mach1lic.dat file, which opens as some gibberish. Is this my license file?

The mach3.exe is file version 1.0.0.1. Is this a current version? If I install the current version will the license file I have now sill work?

I don't know much about this machine, all I know for sure is that we bought the machine from a company going under. Than again, the g-code I really need to run is only like 15 lines long. I might not even have a full version for all I know. Do I need to even bother with the full version?

I just need this thing to hold out for another month or so till we can convert it over to a Baldor servo system!

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:12:17 PM by Chaoticone »
Re: Moving a mach3 install
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:20:52 AM »
Simply copying the directory will not get Mach3 to work.  The driver must be installed.

So if you only need to cut 15 lines of GCode, you can just download the latest version of Mach3, install it, then copy over your *.XML files, which holds the settings for your CNC machine and it should be able to cut your job.

My registered version also has a Mach3Lic.dat file with the latest version, you can copy that over as well, it should still work, but I cannot be sure.

Hope this helps.
Re: Moving a mach3 install
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »
load mach3 on the new machine and with mach3 off, copy over the xml file that has the same name as the one you used on the old machine. (eg, mach3mill.xml) Also copy over any macros or tool data you had saved. When you start mach3 the settings will be correct for the old machine.
For the licence, just copy it into the new mach3 directory.