Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:17:47 PM

Author Topic: Another G540 VFD Output setup  (Read 5918 times)

Another G540 VFD Output setup
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
I am using an old Vytek Rebel which uses a Perske spindle controlled by a YASKAWA P5 VFD.

I am having a lot of trouble getting the VFD output to work on my G540.  Can someone please take a quick look at page 20 and 28 of this manual:

http://www.omron-hitachi.info/files/oymc_PC5-P5_manual_en.pdf

I connected FV to VFD OUT on the G540 through a SPDT so I could manually still use the SPINDLE from its old manual POT and I used the power supply from my 36V PS going through a separate POT to lower the voltage to ~11V (The SPINDLE to the manual POT for control uses 15V from FS) and fed that to PIN 9 on the G540.  I connected PIN 7 to GND.

The spindle does nothing and checking the voltage on PIN 8 G540 there is nothing when I tell MACH3 to turn on the spindle.

I still have the on/off switch of the manual pot (it had a SPST switch also at back of POT), so I use that to turn the spindle on.  So when the SPDT is switched to use the G540 the manual POT only turns the spindle on and the VFD OUT is tied to the G540 PIN 8.

When I throw the SPDT switch to use the manual POT the spindle works great.  What am I doing wrong?  Is this wired right?  If so, maybe my issue is in MACH3.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Another G540 VFD Output setup
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
Have you configured Mach3 to use the VFD output! Have you set up your pulley ranges? Did you set a spindle speed before turning the spindle on?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »
Have you configured Mach3 to use the VFD output! Have you set up your pulley ranges? Did you set a spindle speed before turning the spindle on?

Yes

Yes

Yes

I checked the output from PIN 8 on the G540 when voltage reads 10V across PINs 7,9 and when I issue S0 it is reading .61mV and when I issue s10000 it goes to .64mV.

Looks like my my G540 is bad.

Any ideas?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
Can you attach your XML please? I'll take a look and see if anything looks amiss.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
Thank you for looking at this for me.

I have attached the .xml.

I must be doing something wrong.  I have 2 G540's doing the exact same thing.  I did the 9v test across pins 7,9 and still getting ~65mV on pin 8 when issuing S commands in MACH3.  Something is missing or I have 2 G540's that are bad.

I just sent one in for eval, so I will see what Gecko says also.

Thanks.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »
Sorry I did not see this before. I don't have a G540 to test with right now but I did scan through the profile and noticed that you have the Spindle relays outputs disabled. Is there a reason for this? I don't know if that will mess up mach3 outputting a PWM signal our not. I do know that the parallel port driver will not output a PWM if an M3 is not issued first.

With the parallel port you generally would set the spindle speed, then issue an M3 (which tells mach3 the spindle should be on). Then when you issue an M5 (spindle off) the PWM will stop.

S5000
M3
...do some stuff
M5

When using a G540 with a VFD I like to use one of the relay outputs to trigger a small relay that provides the start/fwd signal to the VFD when M3 is seen.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
Jeff,

I didn't use the outputs for a relay at this time because I am just trying to get the VFD voltage to read right first out of PIN 8 of the G540 and I can turn the spindle on with the on/off STSP on the POT I am using.

So I turn it on with the POT SPST then issue the M3 and then the speed Snumber and the voltage will go between 65mV and 69mV on PIN8 depending on what S command I give it.  Weird.  I am feeding it 10V across PIN 7,9 and tried the 9V battery hookup test also.

I don't know either if I have to have an OUTPUT enabled.....good question.

I will call Gecko tomorrow and ask them.

Thanks,

Jimmy