Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:18:39 PM

Author Topic: Rhino: 2D path to g-code  (Read 21221 times)

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
Rhino: 2D path to g-code
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
Hi

I've attached few scripts that I use to generate g-code from curves drawn in Rhino. Supported curves are lines, arcs and circles, so before executing scripts, paths should be converted to lines/arcs.

SegmentsIO - import/export paths (evaluation version does not alow but 25 saves)

2DPath2GCode - creates gode from planar lines,arcs and circles. One polycurve (joined lines/arcs) is treated as one continous feature. If you're getting weird paths from polycurves that overlap at subcurve start/end points, try turning off "simplify" option.

Holes2GCode - creates gcode for drilling holes from circles and/or points (other curves will be filtered out after selection)

Cheers
disclamer: use at your own risk :)

ps. if you find bugs, please post seg files here

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Rhino: 2D path to g-code
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »
I don't use Rhino, but I wanted to take a moment and thank you for taking the time to contribute to the community here  :)

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
Hi

some updates and few more scripts:

3DPath2GCode - creates gcode from non-planar lines and arcs planar in XY/YZ/XZ (non planar arcs and curves should be converted to lines)

HelicalDrill  - creates helical (circular ramp) gcode based on selected circle path diameter, adjustable stepdown per turn or ramp angle

ProfilePath - creates simple closed profile curve with arc lead-in and lead-out

FacePath - creates simple path for clearing rectangular surface

CircularPocketPathPilot - creates closed or open spiral path for clearing circular area, assumes there's pilot hole allready drilled (eg. with HelicalDrill)

CircularPocketPathIsland - creates open spiral path for clearing area between two concentric circles (no lead in move, you can use HelicalDrill to create start of pocket arround island)

Spirals in circular pocket paths are created using variable stepover trying to keep TEA below allowed maximum - which is calculated from stepover specified for linear path. For ProfilePath and CircularPockedPath*, be sure to turn off "Simplify" option if used with 2DPath2GCode

Cheers

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:26:38 AM »
Hi Mbele,

As Dave has already said, thank you for taking the time to post this information which I am sure will be most helpful to others.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:01:35 AM »
@mbele You still around?

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:07:32 AM »
yes
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
Thanks for your scripts. I have used them with some success, bus was curious if there are some instructions for them? 

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »
You're welcome, I'm happy that you use them. I thought that options are self-explanatory, so I didn't write any instructions... I wrote some info for you (will do more later) and I've attached last versions of the scripts I use. There are still some bugs to work out (sort routines, HSM stuff) but they are usable if you're lucky or find a workarround - if you provide usable feedback, I'll fix them :)

In the meanwhile, if I can help you with something specific, please do ask.

Cheers
Mihael
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
@mbele Thank you for the effort to write this scripts. I was looking for a simple solution to generate g-code from basic lines in Rhino and I found this project. It is possible to customize the post-processor and if so how to do it?

I am using RhinoMAC and unfortunately RhinoMAC it's not running the .rvb files. Any chance to convert this scripts to python so that I will be able to use them? Please can you provide a short video explaining how do they work, or at least some screenshots? I think this project needs more publicity because a lot of peoples who have similar needs they just don't know about this project!

Offline mbele

•  58 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:24:21 AM »
Hi Dacicusan, I'll be very bussy 'til the end of september, and then I'll do some more work on these scripts (bugs and docs). Python conversion should be straightforward, and if I manage to re-eval latest version of rhino for testing (after 90 days plugins stop working), I'll try to do it.
cheers
m