Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:55:26 PM

Author Topic: PC ID not showing  (Read 16779 times)

Offline TDAY

•  165 165
    • View Profile
    • Home CNC Stuff
Re: PC ID not showing
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
Hi all,
just an info.
Some days ago I tried to install the license.
No luck first.  ??? Then after an hour or so I had the idea to enable LAN  ::) (  normally deactivated due to it is not an internet PC )
That did the trick.  :D
LAN activated = license  :o
LAN deactivated =no license  ;D

Alex

Hi Alex,
 I tried  enabling the LAN(even tho i dont have it connected) before i tried reinstalling netgear, and what do ya know? I can now see the PC ID :)
Does your license still work with LAN connection disabled?
Thanks much Alex,

Troy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:25:15 AM by TDAY »
"I try to put forth the effort,before asking a dum question"
http://homecncstuff.elementfx.com

Offline TDAY

•  165 165
    • View Profile
    • Home CNC Stuff
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Never mind, answered my own question. :)

Ron,
 Is there something that can be changed so the LAN connection does not have to be enabled for license?

Thanks,
Troy
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »
I did some checking and found out NetGear enables the LAN connection. Without the LAN enabled it blocks the pc MAC address. So as cncalex discovered the LAN has to be on for Mill Wizard license to work.

There is definitely a problem with the license scheme being tied to the pc network MAC address. I would be willing to bet most pc's used for cnc machines aren't being used for networking. So i don't think Ron has heard the last of this problem. Software doesn't do any good if you need to spend days figure out how to load it.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:42:27 AM by geh7552 »
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »
There was lots of discussion about the license issue at the Cabin Fever seminars. No one likes it, Brian included. But when you have vendors on Ebay selling CDs that include the mach software and a license key you have to do something. The mac address is about the only thing in a PC that relates to a serial number. Note the license software looks at more than the mac address, but mac is critical.

Note you do not need to have the network connected and working, it simply needs a net interface that has a mac address.

I am afraid this will not change and we will have to get used to it. I will be adding a test and a message box on the About screen that will give a warning when the  PC id comes up blank. That is al I can do.

Offline TDAY

•  165 165
    • View Profile
    • Home CNC Stuff
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
Hi Ron,
 I understand the pirate issue. Its always amazed me people would kick about $50 software, that is worth more than $50, same goes for Mach3.(Not taking a shot at anyone here, only understating what was stated about the software license).
 Anyhow maybe another idea will pop up. I like the saying " Get it working then make it look good",that seems to fit with just about anything. :)

Thanks again Ron,
Troy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:52:38 AM by TDAY »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
Ron the problem will be that we have for years preached TURN OFF the NETWORKING and ALL unnecessary functions as they can interfere with Mach3. NOW it has to be turned back on??? 

(;-) TP
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
Hi Troy
Does your license still work with LAN connection disabled?

No. Only when enabled.

Regards
Alex

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
I'm not complaining about the $50 cost... actually the program is pretty nice for $50. The only sure way to minimize illegal copying is use a usb dongle but even that can be beat. As long a China and Russia has teams of programmers reverse engineering software illegal copying will continue. I'm not a software hacker but it only took me 20 minutes to figure out the LAN disabled... is the reason the mac address was blocked.... is why mill wizard license wouldn't load.

NFS sends a license number when you purchase the product. Have it setup so the license number is disabled, deleted, erased after one install. Garmin used this scheme with its laptop GPS software.
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »
  I probably should post this under another heading let me know if you want it changed.        I am having trouble installing my Newfangled mill license. When I install the license I get this remark " About dialog must be re-opened to check license".  The license number is in the slot so it appears NewFangled has it.  Not sure what to do next. appreciate some advice.  Thanks Jack
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »
After it is installed you really dont have to do anything but start using the program. However, the about box doesnt change the line that says 'unlicensed demo copy' If you close the box, then re-open it you will see that has changed to licensed copy, just as confirm that the license worked.