Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:10:04 PM

Author Topic: Input pin help  (Read 7102 times)

Input pin help
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »
I am shortly about the make a touch plate for auto z function so I thought I'd check things out with my mach set up.

On ports and pins/inputs I have 4 of the 5 input pins used 3 home switches and an estop. This leaves me pin 13 to use.

A quick check down at my breakout board shows 5v end shows 5v already on the pin. I'm guessing the port itself has pull up resistors at the computer end.  So I set pin13 as the probe pin, enable it, set active low, apply the settings and clear the estop trigger and the green digitise led illuminates on the diagnostics page.

All good so far. Now I then ground p13 but led stays illuminated. The ground I use is common with the port ground. I've tried grounding through a resistor everything but nothing happens. I've tried it with putting a separate 5v on the pin via a pull up resistor before I realised it already had 5v on it.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Input pin help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »
Hi Ricey3,

The digitize LED should only illuminate when the touch plate (pin 13 in your case) is connected to GND.

Here are a couple of things you may like to check again...

Check that you have pin 13 enabled and configured for active low.
Check that you do not have pin 13 configured elsewhere in your setup (causing a conflict).
Check that the GND connection you are using is the same GND that the Breakout board uses.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Unless there is somewhere else to check for conflicts pin 13 is not assigned anywhere else in ports and pins.

Defo enabled and set for active low. When I check the diagnostic page the digitise led is on with nothing connected anywhere.

I'm stuck!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »
Do you have it set as emulated? If you do disable that.

If you want to attach your xml I will have a look and see if I can find an issue.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
Not on emulation.

How do you get your XML? Sorry I'm more mechanical than computers and electronics :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
For the fun of it just try active High first then if not you can attach your xml as follows.
Open Mach and look at the name of the profile you are using. Close Mach then browse to your mach3 folder and find a file with that name and a xml file extension. Copy it to your desktop and then rename to Ricey3.xml and then use the additional options button on the reply page to browse to your desktop and attach.

The reason you will need to rename is the forum only accepts a file name once so likely a file with the name of your xml will already have been attached unless you made a custom xml.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
Cheers hood.

Will copy that off shortly. Tried with it active high. No light lit on digitise. Earthing/ applying 5v makes no difference again.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »
Really sounds like it may be a port or breakout board issue but I will have a look through the xml in case I find something.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
Ok XML attached.

Just to add. My set up is a denford starmill, the breakout board is the standard one. The parrallel port cable goes into the enclosure and all the unused wires (of which pin 13 is one) are just cut short.

The mill works perfectly and has done for a few years, the only change i have ever made (shortly after buying it) was to change the debounce value as i was getting erratic emergency stop actrivations. this cured it and it has worked perfectly since.

Cheers
brendan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
Ok there is no probe set up in that xml, did you disable it or is it the wrong xml?

What I would try is remove one of your home switches, for example the X is connected to pin 10, if you put your probe to that input, disable the X Home switch in Ports and Pins and then set the probe as port 1 pin 10 and enable it and see what happens.
Hood