Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:51:54 AM

Author Topic: Trip Limit, Causes Spindle to rotate!?  (Read 9536 times)

Trip Limit, Causes Spindle to rotate!?
« on: April 11, 2013, 02:13:25 AM »
First off i have this:

http://littlemachineshop.com/3503

Inside that machine, it controls the spindle (DC motor (all factory)) with this board:

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4645&category=

Just plugged it in, using the .xml mach files that came with the machine off the CD (may be old?) dialed in each axis pretty close, but can't get the spindle to turn on by hitting F5, Manually entering MDI/MDA M3/M4 S1000, etc.

Here is the REALLY ODD part!

When i hit the top Z limit switch, the z axis stops, but my spindle instantly starts to rotate! If i try and continue to jog up, it will jog my spindle?! As soon as i jog down off the limit switch it stop rotating.

Can anyone explain this? The spindle under motor setup is not sharing any pins with the other axes.

Really impressed with this little mill, but i can't believe they didn't supply a decent .XML setup for true plug and play operation.

Earlier today, i hade the parallel port address set wrong, and it was jogging multiple axis (xandY) at the same time in one direction, not allowing them to reverse?
I'm using a PCI parallel port add in card, not using the standard parallel port address. I found the correct address under device manager.

Thanks for the help

DiyE
Re: Trip Limit, Causes Spindle to rotate!?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:17:53 AM »
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,9561.0.html

^ Going to check this .xml reader out in the morning to possibly make some sense or find any errors.

Requested new updated .xml from little machine shop also..

Until then ill be up all night trying to research what is going on.

Thanks!

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:32 AM »
Seems your Limit switch is connected to Output pin of Spindle???...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »
I will look when i get home. I will upload screen shots.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 07:05:38 AM »
Easiest way would be to attach your xml
Hood
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »
OK! I will upload that also!

Thanks!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
Ok so here is my .XML

I fired up mach, then turned on mill, waited a few seconds and clicked the red reset button. Went to jog X axis and y axis moved at the same time!!! After 20 seconds, they then moved independent of eachother.

This thing has a mind of its own haha..

Thanks guys.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »
Well more info.. Figured i should test the big red estop button on the machine. While mach was open and active, i jogged to confirm it was live. I then hit the estop button, and mach did not see any error. I then jogged the machine while the red estop mushroom button was fully depressed...

The only real way of stopping this is flipping the breaker, or pressing "reset" inside mach 3. I sure aint going to reach around the machine to flip the switch on the side if it is freaking out.

Also, under my diagnostics page, my M1++ and M1-- limit LED is illuminated even without the machine on? When the machine turns on, lights remain on.

Funny business.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
See attached pics for more info.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
More info attached.