Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:00:49 PM

Author Topic: New User - Help Mach3 stopped at line 63  (Read 4010 times)

New User - Help Mach3 stopped at line 63
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
I am running the demo version of Mach3, but I did just purchase it a few hours ago, and it seems to work fine except a random stop.

I am new to CNC and just getting my feet wet. I searched the forums but it looks like the demo version stops at 500 lines and this whole file is only 271 lines. It is a pocket and a profile to cut out a 5" speaker.

When I run the file it goes fine until line 63 and then just stopped. When I hit run from here it did nothing and I couldn't see any error or problem on the screen. Also the program did not crash. I was able to bring up the MPG screen and bring the Z up and back the machine out of the part and move the cutting head out of the way with Mach3 control.

Is there any kind log or error log that gets written to that I can help debug this?

The Gcode was written with Vectric Cut2D.

I included the G-code below.

Thank you for your help and I apologize in advance if it was something simple I missed.

thanks
-david

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
Re: New User - Help Mach3 stopped at line 63
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
I just happen to have my machine ready to go here....so I tried your code.

It ran fine on my router.  

Others may suggest something that I'm not seeing.

Since your machine is still active and able to jog, I can't see why it would "hold".  The spindle continues? do the DROs continue to move even though the machine is stopped?    I don't know.....:)  I'm still re-aquainting myself with my router.
Watchdog might provide some info...it is enabled in the general configuration -far right.

There are similar spots further on in your code.    You might try "starting from here" at or near those areas of your code.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:18:11 PM by Bloy »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Can you attach your xml also as there may be an issue with it.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
I made a couple of other files since then that had much larger file lengths (180+ lines) and they ran fine. I might try that file again and/or remake it.

Thank you for your help.

Here is my .XML file if you are interested though.

BTW I am using a Gecko G540 controller.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:06 AM »
Your xml is set to metric for native units but your motor tuning and the code would suggest you are using imerial units, is that correct?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:27:50 AM »
Yes one of the first things you are supposed to do in Mach3 according to the video tutorial is set the native units. I though I set it for imperial. Thinking back though I then downloaded the G540 XML from the Gecko site so maybe that changed my native unit settings.

Where do you find that in the XML file and is there another place in Mach3 to set it or just use the set native units command (from memory I am on my mac now) in setup?

Thanks for your help.

ALSO I regenerated that gcode again last night and I changed a few things because it was thicker stock but it ended out being over 500 lines and it ran fine. So I am not sure if it was before but maybe it's been resolved.

thanks again.
-david

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »
Config menu then Set Native Units.
You should not mess with it but only do it at the start as your motor tuning will be weird. The funny thing is your code is imperial but if you sent the correct xml then it is set as metric native but your steps per unit would certainly seem to be imperial as you have 20,000 steps per mm which would mean you must have a lot of gearing if it is correct.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Like I said I am pretty sure I set it up imperial to start with. Then I calculated by had what all the motor settings should be and when I did a test it was very close. I fine tuned it with a dial indicator and some tests so I find it hard to believe it is set to metric when it was so accurate.

So for the time being I am going to call this "case closed". There are some mysteries but it seems to be working.

thank you for all your help.

cheers
-david

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
Well your xml is definitely set to mm as native units but as said it would see your steps per unit in motor tuning are calculated as if it were imperial units. That would mean when you command 1mm move it will actually move 1 inch but the problems may arise when you start code written in imperial units. The distance Mach moves will be divided by 25.4 and so will feedrates.
Maybe the xml you attached was the wrong one but to make sure I wasnt looking at someone elses xml I just downloaded yours again and took the screenshot.
Hood