Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:49:53 AM

Author Topic: Tool diameter compensation help  (Read 3209 times)

Tool diameter compensation help
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:10:27 PM »
Hi,
i have a question i can't seem to find an answer for by searching:
i have a code to cut a slot; now, probably for wear on the bit, it comes out .1mm too narrow. Short of modifying the CAD and CAM files to get a 'wider' code, how can i tell Mach3 that the cutter is a little too narrow and to compensate for it?
I understand it should be really easy, but in tool offset or tool information in Mach3 i can't seem to find the right way to accomplish this...
Thanks for the help,
Daniele.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Tool diameter compensation help
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
Unless the CAM used tool comp code (G41/42) there is no way to do it.  I assume it did not so the only way to do it is to go back to CAM and change the tool diam to compensate for the difference then repost the Gcode.

NOW you could CHEAT and change the scale in X/Y to compensate but it will make it a touch large in both axis's and scale length and width.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply; is it common to use the G41/42 code, and is it easy to implement in a CAM program (i use rhinocam)? Would it be worth the effort, or is it just easier to re-post changing the tool dimension in CAM?
Thanks for the help: every time i learn a new thing for the CNC, i find 10 more things i don't know :-(
Best,
Daniele.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
It woul dprobably be best to let the CAM do the work. Mach3's Tool comp code is a bit dodgy and really best left alone for now.

Just a thought, (;-) TP