Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 07:46:17 PM

Author Topic: Increased stepper volts from 24 to 48, dang!  (Read 5816 times)

Increased stepper volts from 24 to 48, dang!
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »
Just bought an Antek DC power supply that puts out 48 volts at 400 watts for my digital Leadshine drives with a Nema 24 and 34 stepper motors. Man what a speed difference for rapids. Damn near doubled max speed on my lathe and I have not stalled yet. Not sure just how fast I can go but I was turtle speed before cause I geared down almost 4 to 1 on X & Z. If I get 16 to 20 IPM with this system I'll be pretty happy.

Just got a new AC servo system from DMM technology out of Canada still in the box. It cost me a few bucks but I am excited about the speed and accuracy it will achieve. Should be fun. Most likely transition it to a mill project but it gets tested on the lathe first. I will have to report out to the forum just how well these AC, 3 phase, synchronous motors perform. Compared to the big name servos these must have been around 20 to 30% less cost. Heard good things so said what the hell its only money.

Robert
Re: Increased stepper volts from 24 to 48, dang!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
So I installed the DMM AC servo drives and motors over the weekend. I have never had anything slam dunk like this system. Overall I am very impressed! Other than some tuning which we all know can be a hoot for servos, art versus science lol, I am already making chips.

Feel free to PM if you want to learn more about my experience. Not sure I'll every go back to steppers again although they were a great learning tool for the newbie.