Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 09:50:02 AM

Author Topic: Anyone have this happen to a design?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Carlb

•  10 10
    • View Profile
Anyone have this happen to a design?
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:37:51 AM »
Hi All,

Apologies for all the questions, but being a total noob I'm a tad stuck. Firstly thanks to Hood for pointing out the reverse issue, that sorted something,  I've managed after a few days to get it to do something :).

I created with Aspire 3 a quick piece, loaded it in to Mach 3 - set everything and away it went except it came out like the attached image, sorta cut in twice in the timber one a little higher than the other. Anyone have any ideas where I've gone wrong as after three attempts I'm still getting the same result.

I can attach the tap file Aspire creates for inspection if it's required.

Cheers
Carl

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have this happen to a design?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
Hi Carl,

Must admit that I have not seen that before.

If you could attach the .tap file I would be interested to see it.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Carlb

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »
Cheers Tweakie much appreciated - hopefully the attachment works - because of the forums file size limits I made it a zip as the tap itself is 240k  :o

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:08:28 PM »
I've not seen this type of double image (but I don't have Aspire). I did look at the tap file and was able to see where the lines that have been duplicated may have come from duplicated vectors from within Aspire. In other words, there are lines laying on top of each other and when the code was generated it doesn't seem to know that particular line in space already exists.

Having one cut deeper than the other though is a mystery because I'm not seeing changes in z-depth at those duplicated cuts.

Odd.

Offline Carlb

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
I've not seen this type of double image (but I don't have Aspire). I did look at the tap file and was able to see where the lines that have been duplicated may have come from duplicated vectors from within Aspire. In other words, there are lines laying on top of each other and when the code was generated it doesn't seem to know that particular line in space already exists.

Having one cut deeper than the other though is a mystery because I'm not seeing changes in z-depth at those duplicated cuts.

Odd.

Hi V,

It didn't actually cut any deeper, it just re-cut approx 3mm up from the original - it (Aspire) made no mention of duplicate vectors so I'm well confused. Unfortunately I forgot to save the crv file (native aspire file) so I can't duplicate that error as I can't remember where I had the XY origin set, it was either centre, top right or bottom left - I made three so I could get the hang of homing etc. All I can remember is I centred the image before using Aspire's trace on it, can't remember the size of the image either so what I'm going to try now is creating an ai and importing that in to Aspire and see what happens.

Thanks for sussin' the tap file out though, if it's an issue with Aspire I'll be yellin' at Vectric.

Cheers
Carl

Offline Carlb

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:52 PM »
Interesting - just a carry on from my previous post - I created a vector of the heffalump in Illustrator imported it in to Aspire and it had 31 duplicate vectors which Aspire can remove by clicking on show all duplicate vectors and hitting the delete key. Aspire's trace gave me no duplicates so why it would write duplicate lines in the tap file is way to over my head  ???

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »
Looking at the Gcode I do NOT see the offset lines in the code.  NOW I will add this and please do not take it personal BUT the the conversion from the ART to vector is FAIR but you did NOT clean up the vector file  before continuing. There are a LOT of what I call fleas, short segments of lines attached to the contours. This is from the Conversion from raster to vector and needed cleaning up before you finish processing into a cut file. It is NOT an easy task to master and is a steep learning curve for most.

I do a LOT of this type conversion in plasma cutting and know the problems of raster to vector. There is NO one step conversion that I am aware of. LOTS of salesmen will tell you theirs is  BUT they are pulling your leg (stating it politely).

Every once in a blue moon I get a one step conversion that works BUT it is a RARE thing. Most require from SOME to A LOT of cleanup of the Vector drawing depending on the art.

If you post a copy of the art I can give it a try on this end just as a comparison.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

Offline Carlb

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »
Looking at the Gcode I do NOT see the offset lines in the code.  NOW I will add this and please do not take it personal BUT the the conversion from the ART to vector is FAIR but you did NOT clean up the vector file  before continuing. There are a LOT of what I call fleas, short segments of lines attached to the contours. This is from the Conversion from raster to vector and needed cleaning up before you finish processing into a cut file. It is NOT an easy task to master and is a steep learning curve for most.

I do a LOT of this type conversion in plasma cutting and know the problems of raster to vector. There is NO one step conversion that I am aware of. LOTS of salesmen will tell you theirs is  BUT they are pulling your leg (stating it politely).

Every once in a blue moon I get a one step conversion that works BUT it is a RARE thing. Most require from SOME to A LOT of cleanup of the Vector drawing depending on the art.

If you post a copy of the art I can give it a try on this end just as a comparison.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

Nothing taken personal - s'all good.

I do know about the mess it actually is, it was essentially a test piece for me to learn or at least get a better grip on Mach 3 and homing etc as I'm a total noob with all this but as for graphics I'm fine with them, give me a pencil and a piece of paper and off I go - computers will never replace the human eye, hand and imagination for off the planet imagery ;)

I was very surpised that Illustrator failed dismally at a simple trace such as the heffalump image though - glad I don't use that program as much anymore. . .

Cheers
Carl