Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:59:54 PM

Author Topic: Basic 3D Help  (Read 12286 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Basic 3D Help
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »
STL's are 3d. DXF's are 2d. No worries, simple enough to draw out.
There are many options for exporting to STL. There are also many options for importing. Half the battle is finding out what export and import settings "jive" together. Sometimes it's good right off the bat, sometimes it can be a pain. Anyhow.... see if this is what you need.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
Also, you might wanna give Autodesk 123D a try. I tried it quiet some time ago, and it seemed to be VERY capable. It did not do something that was a necessity for me at the time, but I can't even remember what it was. Probably sorted by now.
Taken from the website
What's new in this version: export STL, inserting models to an existing model, sketching enhancements, dimension tool, send to CNC utility, other minor enhancements, bug fixes.
http://www.123dapp.com/
http://www.123dapp.com/design
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »
Hey Sam, THANKS !  :)
What prgm did you use for the conversion ? (if you don't mind sayin')
I'm anxious to run this if MeshCam would hurry up a bit and send my registration code. Been 4 hrs.

Oh, thanks too for the links.
Looks like my hdwre isn't capable though.
I'll keep ya posted of my progress.
Thanks again,
Russ

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:58 AM »
Software is solidworks. What a bummer about the cpu requirement! I wouldn't have thunk it needed those specs. Where ya falling short? Win7? I wouldn't think you would need an internet connection just to use the software.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
Hey Russ,
Attached is quicky how to on using ACAD and Meshcam.
RICH

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
That's EXCELLENT Rich ... THANKS !
I might try to get my boss to buy AC for me, that would be great.
I did get the MeshCam registered, went through the tuts. and HELP files.
It's pretty basic, easy to understand and work with.
The first sample I did was in alu using the Parallel in X approach, just like you illustrated. .0015 stepover.
Did a great job but leaves the very small scallops on each side of the profile ... just as you see them in your MeshCam post-machined model.
Then I did one utilizing the Waterline method and it came out much better in that there is only half of the polishing necessary due to the scallops, or steps, only being in the bottom of the trough, none on either side.

Here is a sample I just cut, actual size with a .050" ball endmill in 0-1 tool steel.
.0015 stepover, about 4 ipm, 20,000 rpm.
Very little to polish, 5-10 minutes using a stick with lapping compound.
My machine has about .0006-8" backlash or the results would probably be a bit better.
ALA in all .... I think it will work.
Thanks for all of the help ... all of ya.
Russ :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:07:52 PM by Overloaded »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
Looks good Russ,
Have a look at the attached about  stepover values.
Note that most of the info came from a posting on the Mescham site by Robert.
RICH
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:33:12 PM by RICH »
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 10:55:38 PM »
That is a SUPER read Rich, thanks !
Especially interesting is the Surface Angle Limits feature. That's one item I was wondering about but had not seen a concise description of.

I checked  to find that I'm actually stepping over .002" .
I started to go with .001" but felt that the cutter would hold up better taking a bit of a bite rather then rubbing off the lesser amount.

Anyway, Here is a pic of a pair fresh off of the mill, as milled and untouched.
There is also the alu sample run and the 0-1 sample that has been polished and heat treated.

You can (I hope) clearly see the small scallops, only in the very bottom. 10 minutes each and they are polished up slick as a whistle.

Dang, that .050" ball endmill looked sooooooo small ....... till I took out the .025's. Jeeeeesh, maybe I should just sell them cheap before I bust em' up. ::)

Thanks again Rich,
See Ya
 :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:49:56 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
.... ooops, the treated one is not in that pic.
Russ