Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:42:23 PM

Author Topic: Newbie with TB6560 1st time testing problems  (Read 23798 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with TB6560 1st time testing problems
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »
Hi Gary,

Your cable should be straight through, with all pins connected, pin1 to pin1, 2 to 2 etc.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:38:52 AM »
Got to smile, the thought of you dog eating your cable. Before I retired I used to teach blind kids CNC machining at a local college. Their guide dogs looked on and I'm sure they understood CNC. SO Have you asked your Labrador for ideas!! Joking apart I'm like you ain't got a clue about electronics, but can confirm that the computer, and lead to your BOB are standard equipment, just checking its a desktop computer not a laptop, as Mach doesn't work with most laptops. There are lots of video's on youtube showing how to set up c your system, indeed one bloke does a drawing of the set up you need. Have a look. Best of luck. Jim
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 04:54:25 AM »
Hi Tweakie
I have checked the voltages of the parallel port at the back of the PC, without M3 running.
Results as follows:
Pin 1 ~ 9       3.35V
Pin 10 ~13    4.29V
Pin 14           3.35V
Pin 15           4.29V
Pin 16           3.35V
Pin 17 ~ 24   0V

Yes the settings match to what you have in your last reply.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 05:03:41 AM »
Hi Jim And Tweakie
Jim although the Lab that ate the cable was watching, she is not a bright spark, but very lovable though, her brother is a bright spark, however he sleeps while I'm busy.
Yes The PC is a desktop a few years old though.
Ok so one thing is right ....... the cable......phew!!!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:09:00 AM by malgazz »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 05:57:10 AM »
Hi Gary,

Good news that you have found 4.29 Volts on the LPT port.

Now the tedious bit starts (remember that successful fault finding requires you to be very methodical – take it one step at a time and only change one thing at a time).

I am making the assumption that your controller board does if fact work and that you have the 24 Volts ? applied to the board and everything else connected correctly.

The first thing is to get the stepper motors to ‘lock’ when the system is powered up. This appears to be related to Config / Ports & Pins / Output Signals / Enable 1 to Enable 4 settings. So try all output pin numbers (1 to 9, 14, 16 & 17)  both Active High and Active Low until you find the right combination to ‘lock’ the motors.

Once you have achieved this than I will suggest a possible next step in the procedure.

Tweakie.

This is what my little helper gets up to in his spare time.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:26:37 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 06:34:31 AM »
As an update to my earlier post…

It is the actual pin numbers you are trying to find – If the pin number entered in Enable 1 does not lock the X axis motor (or any other motor) there is little point in trying that same pin number in any other Enable. Just move on to the next pin number.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:20 AM »
Tweakie
I noticed that once the xml was changed with their file, the kernel was sitting at 45000Hz changed it back to 25000Hz.
I have also since changed the parallel port to ECP in the bios......... made no difference to motors still unlocked.
I also notice that the power supply is only pumping out 23.5V I will tweak it up to 24V.
Going to go try the output pins now.

Like your helper's pic, need to attach a broom to tail!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:20:47 AM »
Hi Tweakie
I have just completed testing: "Config / Ports & Pins / Output Signals / Enable 1" pin no with 1 thru16 active high/low.
No change! motors still revolve freely by hand.
I assume that when you mean locked ~ one cannot rotate them at all by hand!

What I have done so far:
1. Increased the voltage of power supply, now reads 24.5V
2. Unplugged all the motors, rechecked wiring ~ ok.
3. Plugged only x axis motor in
4. Ran PC with Mach3, board connected to PC, power supplied to board.
5. Ran test as suggested "apply and reset" each time change was made to enable 1 pin or active high/low ~ turned motor by hand.

Does it not mean that getting a reading of 3.5V across the pins mean that the PC //port is only putting out 3.3V and not the 5V required.
I paid special attention to the pins that were delivering the higher voltage reading when doing test, but still no motor locking.
Gary

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 08:27:29 AM »
Hi Gary,

I may have misunderstood one of your earlier posts when you said that M3 brings the board alive so as a last resort...

There is the possibility that Mach3 is not communicating with your parallel port.

1) Run the Mach3 “Driver Test.exe” which can be found in the Mach3 folder. How does that look ??

2) If you are using WinXP as your OS then Parmon  http://www.geekhideout.com/parmon.shtml can be used to test the outputs from your parallel port.

2a) Another alternative is connecting your multimeter between pin 25 and pin 4 of the parallel port and within Mach3 – Config / Ports & Pins / Output Signals set Enable 1 to Enabled, Port#1 Pin Number 4 then toggling Active Low / Active High should give the readings (approx.) 0Volts / 5Volts.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
Hi Tweakie
When connected to the PC , LED's light up on the board there are 2 rows. One row with 4LED's and a row underneath it with 2LED's.
2 LED's in the top row light up and 1 on the bottom.
at some stages some go off . cannot varify excly when the go off!

The line is constant, with peaks hitting below the 48Hz on the left      -/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/ similar to this no other spikes.
Gary