Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:06:37 PM

Author Topic: Lost code in middle of program  (Read 6144 times)

Lost code in middle of program
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »
Hi everyone,  Im new here, obviously.  I had a little trouble yesterday and I was hoping you guys could help me out

I was in the middle of a program last night before I left work.  All of a sudden I lost my code, the machine stopped and Mach3 stopped responding and closed

After a year and a half of using it I was very surprised.  This had never happened before.  When I got Mach restarted and couldnt get onto my network drive (the switch got unplugged) I realized that Mach must actively read the Gcode from where ever the file is located. 
My question is this...  Is there any way to load the code into the computers memory instead of reading it as it goes?  Luckily I was doing a relatively simple pocket and was able to get going again but if this had happened while I was doing a V-groove I could have easily ruined a $250 dollar sheet of material.
Re: Lost code in middle of program
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
Also I hope I posted this in the right forum.  if not please refer me to the correct one and I will delete this post and repost it in the correct forum

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »
You should have a gcode folder in your Mach3 root folder.  I would drag my code into it and load it to mach from there.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »
MAch3 does not drip feed . It reads the entire file into MEM on load.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
MAch3 does not drip feed . It reads the entire file into MEM on load.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Then why did I lose everything when access to the network drive was lost?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 07:12:40 PM »
It's always been recommended to have the g-code on the local hard drive. Even though it's supposed to be loaded into memory, occurrences like you had have been reported quite often over the years.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
That is one of lifes great mysteries (;-). I run a plasma machine directly off of a thumb drive for files to load. Once loaded and running I can remove the drive and run without loss of program as it is already loaded into memory.

NOW IF I were guessing I would say that when the PC lost the network it spent a lot of CPU resources trying to constantly FIND the lost network and caused MACH3 to lock up due to ZERO resources left for MACH3 to work with.

Not a good idea to run MAch3 on a networked system. Some PC can pull it off and SOME can't.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:54:25 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »
Not a good idea to run MAch3 on a networked system. Some PC can pull it off and SOME can't.

Unfortunately I need to.  The designer and my comp[uter are in separate parts of the building so I need to be able to pull files off his computer somehow without running back and forth constantly

NOW IF I were guessing I would say that when the PC lost the network it spent a lot of CPU resources trying to constantly FIND the lost network and caused MACH3 to lock up due to ZERO resources left for MACH3 to work with.

Im thinking your right about that.  The PC I use is relatively a POS.  Its one of the first p4's that came out with 512 ram.  My boss got suckered into buying it from the machines manufacturer for $300.  Granted it runs the machine nice but I know one day soon the parts that are 10+ years old will call it quits.  My brother works for an IT company and says the thing is worth about $50... In a year and a half ive yet to shut down windows successfully

Thanks everyone

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
I have my Mach PC networked though it is not recommended.  I have no problems pulling files from a network folder but I place them in the gcode folder before loading to mach.  I'm on a wired network mind you.  Wireless gave me the blue screen of death.  Something in the usb adapter and my pc with mach did not play well togther at all.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
Yeah I didnt even attempt wireless.  for some reason we have always had problems with it here.  I have several large format printers hooked directly up to the network switch so it was easy just to run a new wire for myself