Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:49:08 AM

Author Topic: Thumping motors.....  (Read 5344 times)

Thumping motors.....
« on: March 09, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
I bought a complete Taig system to get into CNC.  I have a manual mill and lathe, but wanted to have a system that I could get up and running easily.  HA!  I had three out of 4 motors running within an hour of opening the boxes.....BUT:  I would jog them and they would thump if the pulse rate was, say 40%, at 100%, they would still thump, but would die.  And, the A axis wouldn't jog at all. To make a long story shorter.....talked to the place I got it from--thought it was a pulse problem with the computer (Pentium 4 2.8, 2gb RAM, video card with 128mb)--nothing else on the computer.  Tried the optimizing recs--ended up with no pulse at all. Did a system restore, got everything moving again (but still with thumps at slow speed, stalled motors at higher speeds).  Pulled another computer into the pic--duo core 3 GHz pentium with 4 gb ram, graphics video card, running, wait for it....Windows 7. Thought I was in the clear, smooth motion, A axis working fine.  It ran WAY BETTER--but eventually while running air cuts, my z axis would lose steps and stop moving. 

Next, bought a 2nd parallel port PCI card--installed it in the Pentium 4, disabled the onboard printer port--got the same results---thump, thump thump--all motors, (except still no A)  jog fast, the motor quits.  Tried the optimization--everything is off, usb, sound. When I switch it to standard PC from ACPI, it loses its pulse. I reinstalled mach and the the driver.  Still no pulse.  This is running off the extra PP running it as lpt1.

My options:

1. put windows XP on the duo core--would rather not--has 3 drives in it-would rather not have it in the garage.
2. get my pulse back on the P4--any suggestions?
3. get an ESS--would rather not--with my luck, can't imagine it would be a simple solution.

I'm hoping there is a simple rookie mistake here.....someone want to point towards the forest?  All I can see is trees.

Thank you in advance for any help.

AJ
Re: Thumping motors.....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
Might be stating the obvious but you have done the motor tuning in the config menu.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Yup, I get good motion on one of the PCs, but then lose steps and my Z freezes--I can hear the other 2 hiccuping from time to as well . On the other PC, I have no pulse after optimizing and switching from ACPI to standard PC (step 9 of optimization guide).  Would like to get my pulse back, and my A motor turning on the Pentium 4, and put the other PC back in the house.

Thanks--aj
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »
HI  AJ I not an electronics man so I'm not the right man to talk to Hoods your man he will helped you out. The only other thing is when I first tuned my motors I pushed the slider on the side of the motor graph to high and bought in a new screen that took the motors to high, the noise for the motor was horrendous i thought I had burnt them out. Hope you get it sorted, its bound to be something simple and doubt its your computer. I take it you have done the driver test in the mach folder to see if you have any spikes in your output and your pulse rate is good in the diagnostics page. Jim
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »
I installed the special driver and have a pulse, but my situation is not any better (still thumping and no A motion).  I started the driver test, and it looks like I have a fairly stable signal, a little variation, but not bad.  Does that program actually run a test and give a result, or is it something I stare at and wonder if it's good enough?  ;D  Thanks for your input.--aj
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
I'm not sure I had a problem and looked at the Mach tutorial videos that said  a pulse under 5 is good and 25000 in another box said my computer is working well, but there was a spike of 10 caused by an electrical fault near to my BOB. I fixed that and all was OK. I assume the kit you bought was all wired up (the phases in the stepper motors were wire correctly) AJ I don't want to suggest to much as I'm at the limit of my knowledge. I'm a mechanical engineer who uses my CNC to make model steam trains, as I said electronics is invisible to me and dread the day my Denford packs up. Did you notice when you pushed the slider up in the motor tuning page the scale went through the roof that would cause motor failure. AJ I will watch your post with interest and chip in if I can help. Good luck mate you will solve it. Jim
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
Thanks Jim--have a great day.  I'll keep reading posts, and fiddling.  There has to be something.....

aj

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Attch your xml file that you are using and also information on the system that you bought. For the system, a link would be fine, but note
the system model that you purchased.

RICH
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:37 AM »
Hi AJ its Jim again, have you seen this thread about fitting Taig motors http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/message/30549 Might be the motors are no lined up or your jib strips are to tight or loose. Do you get the same problems with the motors disconnected from the machine. You can see I'm back to mechanical things.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
Busy day today, I will hopefully get you the xml file late--we have a gymnastics meet today.....thanks guys!

AJ

PS: Jim: the motors still thump even when not connected to the machine--checked that first.  They only thump when connected to the Pentium 4 machine.  But now with all the "optimization" I've done on the duo core, I've lost my A axis and can no longer jog at full speed (similar to the P4). This is getting painful.