Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:32:36 AM

Author Topic: is it my computer or is it mach 3  (Read 3091 times)

is it my computer or is it mach 3
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
Hi, Ever since I started using my cnc, I've had various issues with it in reguards to mach and the computer I'm using. Most of the time it raises its ugly head and does something I didnt tell it to, or not done something I did tell it to.  The issue usually can be rectified at least temporarily by hiting estop and restarting which makes me think its having problems with macros or some such. 

I bought and used the 2010 screen until it seemed like my machine simply didnt have enough ram to run with it without having major problems.   I reverted back to big tex's blue screen adaptation as I relally like having the tool change macros.  But while the issues pop up less often they still pop up.

My computer is a wimpy hp, I'll attach a screen shot of the system info but I'm starting to think it may be the entire problem. 

Any and all info/help appreciated.

John

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: is it my computer or is it mach 3
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Nothing wimpy about the PC. Are you using it JUST for the machine and nothing else?

(;-) TP

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
Yes I am, controller is its only job

If my computer isnt too wimpy, except of course the ram, could it be the version of mach that I'm using?
I started out with .022, had problems with feedhold, changed to 062, saw they had marked as stable .066 so switched to that, more problems so switched back to .062. 
Is there a more stable version I should try?

John
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:14:44 PM by woodspinner »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
I would stay with .062 unless it proves to be unstable.

NOW what the PC needs is  a really good Software cleaning session and get ALL the unneeded stuff OFF and everything else squared away.

I am NOT the one to ask how . May want to get the help of a good Computer shop to make that happen. Get XP back squeeky clean again.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »
The windows XP I have is the original install for the machine, I just reset it back to stock then un install all the junk, I've been thru the optimization steps every time I do it.  My driver test figures appear good, mostly flat line with "excellent" in the dialog.  I could try doing it again, or do I need to find an xp install disk and do it that way?

John
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:41:58 AM »
Can you define "doing things I didn't want it to do" is it the machine, the computer or the G code program. When I first started G code programming I had problems with cutter compensation G41 G42, if you don't cancel it with G40 the machine will go off in different direction to what you asked it to do. Many a component was wrecked or the table marked by cutters doing their own thing.  Remember these codes stay active if you don't insert a G40 at the start or end of you program. These strange moves can also be caused when putting in rads and mirror imaging codes. Jim