Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:31:26 AM

Author Topic: little help needed :)  (Read 4903 times)

little help needed :)
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:32:14 AM »
Hi Guys hope all is well?

Basically i have a cnc over head router,

one of the 2 drives that runs the x axis blew up so got a replacement and swaped it for the y. ( the x runs on 2 motors and the Y on one)

all fitted and working but the new drive i beleive needs some motor tuning through mach.

if i cut a square it cuts the 2 corners off please look at attachment to see.

can you help?

regards Tom
Re: little help needed :)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »
the white line is what i want to cut,
the red is what its doing

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:09 AM »
Cant see it being a Mach issue if it was ok before, more likely the drive itself needing tuned, assuming of course its servos, which I think it is ;)
Hood
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
hi hood thanks for reply, i dont beleive it is mach either the new drive is of different firmware so i have set it up as good as i can mirroring the originals. I know that mach has motor tuning will tweeking that help?

thank you again for your time
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:45:57 AM »
i use artcam 2010 and v carve. V Carve has a fuction calles square corners which stops it cutting the red corners of but... when cutting circles it makes them not round and that is the main problem im trying to sort
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:50:18 AM by Sambonnie »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:02:16 AM »
Machs tuning will not help as it could only be the steps per unit were incorrect and if that was the case then the Y would be shorter or longer than it is meant to be. From what you are saying it looks like  the axis is eventually getting on position but that it is slow to respond and Mach will have no effect on that as that is a function of the servo drives tuning.
The only possible things in Mach that I can think of  that could affect things is possibly the Step active state is wrong for your drive but that seems unlikely with such a large discrepency.

Regarding ArtCAM, I am not sure how it could correct for that, if it was corner rounding then I could see it but seems to be a straight line at the corners that you are seeing.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
ok cheers hood wasnt the answer i wanted to hear, but at least i know the faults now thank you for your time :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:46:01 AM »
Have you tried swapping one of the X for the Y?
Does the Y now behave and X axis skew?
Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51:41 AM »
honest aswer is that the x axis runs on 2 motors so i dont want to set it to bend the boom out of square if you know what i mean

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »
Thats what I was wondering, whether it would skew the gantry, dont think you would bend it if its the machine I am thinking it is ;)
Hood