Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:30:51 AM

Author Topic: Very odd rapids stepper motor stalling problem  (Read 40137 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Very odd rapids stepper motor stalling problem
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
The theory was that as the motor had no load of the axis then it could do that without risk of stalling.

Not sure i agree with that thinking in practice. Backlash can vary depending on the loading produced by the movement.
At least that's what i found when measuring the torque to just move an axis the other direction post BC as compared  to having traveled a distance
in that direction, stop, and then measure to continue in that direction.
ie; the movement is hard in one direction and as such it creates a condition where additional load was applied to say a crappy thrust bearing situation.

FWIW,
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »
Work your way up in settings.
  ;D

RICH
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
I missed most of this as my e-mail notifications are not getting through. As Rich has said and i alluded to earlier, get rid of the backlash. I'm suprised you have it with ballscrews unless they're real cheap ones, could it be in the bearing mounts.

Offline odex

•  47 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »
they're rolled ball screws not ground, one ball nut per axis due to space limitations. Worse case is just under .004, which is a little above the .003 I see quoted most places that talk about ballscrews.  I could get sub .001 with a good ground screw, or I could upsize the balls in mine.

Or, a cheaper option, is to find a way to get mach3 to do what I expected it to do :)

Mind you even if mach3 does its compensation I wont be planning on doing any climb milling, but this little machine just doesn't warrant the expense of going to ground screws.
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »
or get a machine with ground screws and dual nuts already on it.

Anyway good luck with it, the other guys will be far better at taking this further than me.
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »
My NEMA 23 Stepper Motor: KL23H2100-30-4BM is engergized when i turn on the breakout board and load mach3. They jump a little when I use the up and down arrows, but they will not turn either way.

My Syba controller card generates 4.92 volts from only a few pins as per the attached picture. Is my problem that the signal from Mach3 isn't generating output from my c10 breakout board to the stepper drive. I only have 2x drive wired so far.
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2013, 06:01:11 AM »
if the stepper makes a single move when you change direction, you may have your step and directions pins the wrong way round.
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
I did have the connections wrong. But now the wiring is just like this page. http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/08/KL-4030WithC10.pdf

My com is set to 5vdc not gnd.
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
I too was having issues with weird stalling on rapids in Gcode. Worked great with jogs.

A few months back i started seeing the issue, after I upgraded past 2.48 to 3.043.022

Well, it came back today on a critical "one shot one kill MIL job I have to get out tonight. Thank god I did a dry run with a laser edge finder (the job is a bear - trying to line up stuff on an already machined box)

I heard it stall on a diagonal. Always the same line. Rest of the code ran great.

After putzing around with this and that in 3.043.066 today (saw it back months ago thought .066 fixed it - wrong it turns out)

Went back to 2.48; did a full uninstall - reinstall, (restored my back ups of the macros sub dir and my xml from that version - thank god I'm anal about backing up stuff and keeping old cfg's)

No issue.

It's only on code rapids, where the x and y are at different speeds. Only happens with certain rapids; when it does it's fairly consistent - it always stalls at the same place, same ammount - the stall leaves the axis at the same wrong machine coord. In this case it was 220mil off. Every time.

If it were some marginal thing with hardware, pulsing, etc... it'd be more random. Nope. If you changed a pulse rate, pulse width, etc... it'd change but repeated runs would then lose the same distance.

Something went amiss in the version 3 build. It could be PC/OS environ specific. Maybe there was something in Arts original code that was a bit fragile, dependent on some compiler, machine config, chipset, etc... dunno.

But I'm sticking with 2.48. It works.  I ran 2.48 for quite a few years, hundreds of jobs with it never had an issue.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:44:36 PM by ajawamnet »
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2013, 06:12:57 AM »
Hi all !

Not sure if the stalling problem has been fixed or not, but I HAD been having the exact same problem.
My newly almost finished router would stall occasionally during Jog, and considering the size of the motors I have, made no sense.
(X - 2 x 1200 Oz.In on 2505 screw and Y&Z 640's with 3:1 pulley on 1605 screws)

Solution:-
Reinstalled XP - SP3
Reinstalled Mach 3 (new D/L)

:)