Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:09:30 PM

Author Topic: Anti-Backlash Nut Setting  (Read 892 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Anti-Backlash Nut Setting
« on: May 21, 2022, 02:23:57 PM »
In front of the shafts double bearing there is an anti-backlash nut with a set screw.

How do I set this nut and tight the set screw. Some say this nut is not needed on these screws.

Thanks

Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Backlash Nut Setting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 02:31:39 PM »
oopps... forgot the picture, somehow I select the file with the picture, file name shows in the attach, but it doesnt download the file. File is only 129KB, Sorry

Now the file shows
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 07:11:46 PM »
Hi,
in theory the two bearings should be a matched pair of angular contact bearings. They are ground such that when the two bearings are clamped together tightly the correct
amount of preload is applied...it does not require adjustment by torquing the clamping nut.

Given the battle you've already had with machining tolerances is questionable whether the manufacturer used a matched pair of bearings.

If the bearings are matched there should be no increase in rotational drag no matter how tight you tighten the nut. Is this the case?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 07:59:32 PM »
Well Craig I will take my chance and say that’s the case. I will hand tight the nut against the bearing and tight the set screw.

Despite the “machining tolerances” we talked before the Chinese vendor I buy my stuff has been very good in the past years and actually in another cnc forum members have said they are very happy with him.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:51:40 PM by Graham Waterworth »
Nicolas