Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:20:42 PM

Author Topic: G31 issue  (Read 7690 times)

G31 issue
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »
Has anyone ever had an issue where G31 ignored the digitize input?  Basically, the G31 is inside a macro and works a few times, then the G31 will initiate, the Z travels down, the digitize signal goes active, but the Z keeps going and crashes.  It seems to be a random thing.  There are no errors or warning in Mach3.  It acts as if the digitize signal is being ignored.

Any thoughts on the issie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: G31 issue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »
I've seen that, and worse, more times than I care to remember....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:22:09 AM »
Hi rrc,

This is an ongoing issue which will perhaps never go away.

Revisions to Mach have, at times, changed the way in which it processes the combination / mixture of VB (cypress basic) and GCode commands within a running macro / script.
I have made 4 changes to my probing script over the last 3 years in order to resolve various issues (as I updated to later Mach versions) and I am currently very pleased with the operation of the G31.
I use the probing function, for tool position setting, many times each day, 7 days a week and it is faultless, but I will never become complacent (at the suggestion of others I did fit an over-travel, e-stop, switch to my tool-setting probe but, so far, it has never been invoked).

My suggestion is that you look closely at the probing script that you are using and perhaps search other threads on the subject in order to correct it’s operation.
(If it is of any help to you, the probing script I am currently using is at the bottom of this page http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/17.htm - I am not saying that this is the 'be-all' and 'end-all' because there are better scripts around but this one works for me).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:13:16 AM »
rrc1962 - LOL - tell me about it  - why do you think www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4352.0.html is 18 pages long?  ;D

Ian
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:27:28 AM »
I'm not sure we're talking about the same issue.  That thread seems to focus on 3D edge probing.  This is a plasma machine.  What's happening is that Mach will randomly ignore the probe input (even though it is active) and crash.  We have 3 machines set up with the same profiles, screensets, PC disc image, plasma power supply....These are identical machines down to the last wiring connector.  Two of them run without a hitch.  The third will run the TOM routine 2 or 3 times then crash o the G31.

I noticed that the thread you posted goes back to 2007.  Has anything transpired since then?  We've always used G31 but maybe G28 would be more reliable.  I forget the limitations, but I recall that G28 also had some sort of issue. 

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
Well my response above was based on what you said in your first post. In that context then yes - we are talking about the same thing - simply - can G31 issued from within a macro sometimes keep going even though it's tripped - again my answer is yes.

You've moved the goalposts by giving more info in your second post. Now you're saying why does G31 from a macro run perfectly from two machines but not from a third - that I don't know.

In answer to your last question - has anything transpired since 2007 - loads - has it absolutely, unequivocally made G31 100% reliable? - I'd say maybe/maybe not - others may not agree.

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
Do you want the long story or the short story,(;-)

(;-) TP

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:08 PM »
Do you want the long story or the short story,(;-)

(;-) TP

;D ;D ;D
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »
IS there a reason you want to run the TOM routine from a macro instead of from Gcode ?

You may want to try G28.1 instead of the G31.

(;-)TP
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
I've decided to take G31 out of the macro and back to GCode.  The reason I had it in a macro is because we had a lot of the parameters used in the G31 set on the machine by the operator.  I'm doing the same thing by putting the G31 back in Gcode but using variables.  I set the variables equal to screen DRO's in a macropump.  I haven't looked to see if that could be done in a brain.

So far, it seems to be working very well.