Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:28:03 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 setup and threading help needed please  (Read 10863 times)

Mach3 setup and threading help needed please
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
Hi there,

I have a Syil AEX 250 CNC lathe that I'm trying to get up and running with mach3.

I've managed to overcome most of the early problems, mainly caused by a lack of
support from the manufacturer, as well as the retailer. The fact that the .xml file
they supplied had quite a few errors in it didn't help at all.

At lower speeds, around 500rpm, the true spindle speed is pretty accurate, which I
believe is required for threading. Higher speeds, above around 1200, it's not quite so
good, but I don't intend to thread at those speeds anyway.

I've tried using the wizard to generate code for threading, and the code runs fine
until it hits the G76, then axis and DRO movement stops. I've also tried typing
"G32 Z-25 F1.5" in the MDI, with the same result above.

I'm a little suspicious of the index settings, and the sensor itself, although the speed
detection seems to be ok. The diagnostic screen shows pulses, all of them if I turn
the spindle by hand, but seems to miss some when turning at speed.

I've attached my .xml file should anyone want to have a look, and if anything needs
changing I'd appreciate the info.

Mach3 version is R3.043.066, licensed. The computer CPU is 3.40Ghz, with 2Gb ram.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best regards
Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 setup and threading help needed please
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »
Reduce your Index debounce to as low as you can get (config menu then General config) , I have always had it at zero and found anything above 10 is useless, that may however depend on your index pulse and breakout board etc but I would hazard a guess that the index is not being seen cleanly enough for Machs threading with the 50 you have set.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
Thanks for that Hood, and thanks for looking at my config.

I've tried "0" and "1" for index debounce, it has had no effect with regard to my threading problems. I have
increased the velocity of the Z axis to near it's maximum speed, thinking that might be the problem. It hasn't
helped either.

I looked at the axis velocity after checking the lasterror file, and found this...

Sun - 13:17:39 --- Threading Calc:  Vel (IPM): 134.0278 Actual Calc Pitch: 1.5000 Spindle: 89.3519
Sun - 13:17:39 --- Last Reported Thread run values.....
Sun - 13:17:39 ---Spindle Lock: 0 , Total Ints: 0, Total Spindle Ints: 0, Error: 0, Adder: 0 LastRot: 0
LastRot: 0

I have set everything I can find to mm, so not sure where to go now.

I have attached the (slightly modified) file generated by the wizard. If anyone can see what's going wrong
I'd appreciate it.

Best regards
Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:38:19 AM »
Ok well there is nothing wrong with the code that is produced from a wizard so I am still thinking it is the Index problem, the lastfile tends to agree as it is saying it is not locking in.
One thing to clarify, when you command the 250 rpm and your actual is reading 89, what do you think the true spindle speed is closer to? If its closer to the commanded then again that points to an inadequate index pulse.
 I have had a few issues with 066 and 067 versions and Turn so may be worth trying a previous version.

Do you have the Turn Diagnostics plugin enabled? Your xml suggested not but I thought that the threading errors were only reported to the last file if it was turned on. If you do then turn it off as it may interferte as it was only meant as a testing tool when Art was doing tests with earlier threading issues.
Hood

Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:00:33 AM »
Thanks again Hood.

I've measured the spindle with a tach, it is within a rev or 2 of the "true" rpm, so in
this case it's very close to 89-90rpm.

I haven't turned diagnostics on, but after doing a little more research earlier I found
the thread diagnostics on the diag screen. I watched the trigger and threading LED's.
In all my tests the "wait for trigger" lit up until the index pulse was seen, then it went out
and the "threading" LED illuminated. After that nothing happened.

I'm quite happy to try an earlier version. With so many available for download which one
would you recommend?

Thanks again.
Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »
That is making it even more strange as from that it suggests Mach is seeing the Index and locking in so it should start the thread.
Do you get any error messages on screen at all?
I would try maybe 057 or so.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 04:50:17 AM »
It sure is frustrating. There are no other error messages at all.

I'll give 057 a go tomorrow morning and see how I get on.

Thanks mate
Mark
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
Many thanks for your help Hood.

Going back to 057 has solved the problem, and my test threads are not
too bad for my first attempts.

Thanks again

Best regards
Mark
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 08:34:19 PM »
Going back to 057 has solved the problem
Well that's nice to know, thanks!
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:10 AM »
Good to hear you got it sorted with the older version. I have had a few issues with 066 and 067 and Turn, Mill seems to be fine however with these versions.
 Told Brian about the issues I had but sadly it seems when it comes to Turn he is not interested so I wont be bothering telling him again.
Hood