Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:48:35 PM

Author Topic: 4 axis bedmill retrofit  (Read 13867 times)

4 axis bedmill retrofit
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »
I have spent the past 10 months retrofitting a full sized 3HP bed mill with Gecko 320x drives and Mach3 on a HP desktop computer.
After tuning the servos and calibration of the axises I ran many jobs on it with great success. I recently built a 4th axis from a Browning
Gearbox by making a hollow bore shaft for it I could mount a chuck on and drive it with a large stepper motor. I used the stepper because I have no need for turning in the mill just spline cutting and milling parts on multiple sides with one setup. The machine runs very accurately at plenty of speed. I haven't turned the speed up to its max
as I see no reason to travel more than 120 ipm. The machine weighs about 6000 lbs and will reverse the table fast enough to shake the machine but still maintain it accuracy. It can raise the Z and lower making cuts side by side but leave no edge you can feel between the cuts. The 4th axis is sturdy enough to spline hardened axles with no vibration.
I have been a machinist for about 35 years now and the CNC machining is new to me but quite impressive in its capabilities. I do my own drawings in Autocad and use
an Autolisp routine to produse my Gcode in exactly the way I want it.
I still have plans to add a mpg to the controls and a few other accessories to make it more productive but for the time being I need to turn out paying work
to help fund this project.
If I can help anyone with my experience drop me a message and I give what I can to help.
Here is a picture of the machine modifying and intake manifold.

I have this ultimate set of tools I can fix it.
Re: 4 axis bedmill retrofit
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:13:23 AM »
Hello Machine Head

Autolisp?

I have an Acad license. If it is not your personal IP I would be very interested in trying it.

Cheers
John McNamara  

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:39:50 AM »
Hello Machine Head

Autolisp?

I have an Acad license. If it is not your personal IP I would be very interested in trying it.

Cheers
John McNamara 

Autolisp details are here http://www.jefferypsanders.com/autolisp.html

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:51:01 AM »
Thanks Tweakie

Gee there are a lot of utils there I will look for the Gcode tool......Mr sanders is in OZ too.... I live in Melbourne :)

John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
Nice, I want to see what the intake bolts to.  Is that a Super Victor?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
great to see an old bedmill get back into action, i have two denford quatro bedmills which are the same as a semco 600 and i'm running these on mach3.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
Yeah its a Victor Jr going on a 500 cid Chevy with a 2000 cfm throttle body injection system a make.
The mill itself is a 1989 which isn't old for a machine tool but the computers have came along way since.
It had the Delta 10 controller on it originally.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
Nice, remind me later of a great story concerning a 69 Camaro with a 416 small block.  I guarantee you a good laugh.  It's pretty lengthy and I type to slow so I will have to do it later.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
OK it keeps saying I have replied but its not showing up. This is the lisp routine I use. It came from Lindsey Engraving and is free to use modify and share.
Check it out.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:52:28 PM by Machinehead57 »
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Hi Machine head

Thank you very much....

Cheers
John McNamara