Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:29:11 PM

Author Topic: Running Mach 3 in Windows 7 64 bit  (Read 13700 times)

Running Mach 3 in Windows 7 64 bit
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »
Is there any way to get Mach 3 to run in Windows 7 64 bit? the current computer on the cnc is horrible. I hate having to transport files by stick every time i want to cut something. And converting this computer to 32 bit now is such a pain as i would not want to attempt it. Any ideas?
Re: Running Mach 3 in Windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
Use a SmoothStepper.  M3 will run on W7 64bit, but the PP driver will not.

John Champlain
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
Smoothstepper? Whats that?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »
Ok i get it. it is the printer port driver that is the problem.

Thats a simple fix. I just hope setting up a smoothstepper is not too hard.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Take a look here: http://www.soigeneris.com/, under the Documentation section on the left side. Go down to the SmoothStepper section. This is the collection of all the available SmoothStepper documentation. (my website).
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline BIW

•  7 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
I am running a windows 7 laptop with new mach3 installed and a smooth stepper.  Works great except for two items.  One - never power off the smoothstepper with mach3 running - the communications popups are reminiscent of the old explorer days when your screen would fill with new instances from "those" sites.  Only way to kill it is with task manager and it might take a few tries.  I select all the popup instances as well as the Mach3 instance and kill them all in one shot. That works every time.

Second Item, which might not affect you unless it is a plasma application, is that a torch height controller cannot work with Mach3 and the smoothstepper.  The THC control code is apparently in the parallel port driver which makes good sense because of the need for quick control.  There are a couple of ways around that though one being a stand alone THC unit.  Other than that, Mach3 and smoothstepper produce a really smooth running CNC.

My application is Plasma Cutting. I am running one of those innexpesive Wantai motor CNC kits on the new machine.  I must say, I am impressed so far.  My previous CNC Plasma set up cost me a few thousand and this one, A 12' by 4' is stronger, smoother, higher resolution and under $1,000 including Mach3 and the smoothstepper.  $1,300 if I include the steel.   Now, i am not putting a dollar amount on the time to build of course. These are works of passion.  - Hmm,  I remember a day long long ago when motorcycles, cars and girls held that spot.  -  CNC is better, it pays you back  ;D

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:23:05 AM »
THC is something that is being worked on for the SmoothStepper plug-in. Any 'real time' funciton like this has to be done by the motion device.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline BIW

•  7 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
My point was simply that it doesn't integrate at this time and to not be surprised by that.  All solutions at this time either involve the parallel port which is good, a stand alone unit which is also good, or an external signal hijack circuit to introduce a controlled pulser circuit and external controller such as those Proma jobbies.  That also works well but you need to make sure that macros are in place to ensure that no legitimate Z activity is impeded.  Touch probes are a good help but slow down the cut process.  Personally, I pay a guy to watch it cut anyway so I include button pressing in his duties.  It works well, he like buttons. :D

Cheers all