Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:16:11 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Parallel Connection Problem  (Read 5962 times)

Mach 3 Parallel Connection Problem
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Running Mach 3 (Tormach version) on a Tormach 770 Series 3

Using a scratch build controller PC with these specs

MB Asus P5P800
Processor Intel P4 630 LGA775 3.0Ghz
4 ct 1GB Corsair DDR1 400mhz PC3200 (4GB total ram)
120gb SATA3 SSD
PNY Nvidia Quadro FX3000
Win XP home SP2

Configured this PC per the Mach recommendations for a minimal XP install. Ran drivertest.exe and it shows average <4uS timing interrupt variation. No sound, nothing in task bar or startup, no network/internet connection, no other software besides Mach 3.

Connected to the 770 and getting no red "computer" LED on the Tormach control panel. Which means the controller PC is not connecting with the Tormach main control unit.

ran the PCNCconfig program and set the parallel port and the PCNC770M3.xml file

Went into Mach diagnostics. Under "outputs" the "OK signal to Machine" is greyed out.

Checked the parallel connection under XP Device Manager, ECP Printer Port LPT1 properties, driver ok, "this device is working properly".

The parallel cable is supplied by Tormach and the connector pins look good.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 Parallel Connection Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:50:41 AM »
Do you have the correct port address set?
Not sure what you mean by "Under "outputs" the "OK signal to Machine" is greyed out." maybe that is a Tormach screen thing?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:02:33 AM »
Do you have the correct port address set?
Not sure what you mean by "Under "outputs" the "OK signal to Machine" is greyed out." maybe that is a Tormach screen thing?
Hood

Yes the port address is set and checked in XP Device Manager. Tormach provides a configurator for this.

Yes the "OK signal to Machine" is a Tormach/Mach3 screen. It's on the diagnostics page.

I also loaded the generic version of Mach3 from this site. It essentially does the same thing, no computer connection light on the main control panel. No jog function.

Under the generic diagnostics function it has "Port 1 Pins current state". The first 3 pins and the 5th pin are green, all others grey.

Other things I've tried. The Mach engine is loaded and running in Device Manager

Set Parallel port to EPP in Bios, think this is a Tormach only thing.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »
If you attach your xml I will take a look at it to see if there is an issue.
You could also test at the port if you have a volt meter, connect between a Dir output and a Gnd pin and jog one way and the other and you should see the voltage go between 0 and 5v, repeat for other axis.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
Will attach xml when I get off work. The output test, is that with the cable unplugged from the machine?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »
Yes but likely you will have to change the active state of the E-Stop and limits if you have any as you will need to get Mach out of reset and with the cable unplugged that wouldnt happen unless you did so.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »
If you attach your xml I will take a look at it to see if there is an issue.
You could also test at the port if you have a volt meter, connect between a Dir output and a Gnd pin and jog one way and the other and you should see the voltage go between 0 and 5v, repeat for other axis.
Hood

here's the .xml