Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:11:26 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 + G540 + TechnoCNC = stalling. Tried just about everything...  (Read 2994 times)

Hi all,

I am having an issue with an old Techno machine that is now running off a Gecko G540.  It will quite often stall during toolchanging, but jogs around happily.  I have tried various Kernal speeds (using a Dell P4 2.4, 2G RAM).  I've tried the Sherline mode.  I've tried 0-5 Pulsing on step and dir.  I've tried disabling the driver watchdog (because I do get the watchdog error occasionally - especially on the bad stalls).  Motors are tuned as follows:

X = Steps/Per 10666 (pretty sure this is correct)  70 to 120 in/min, accel = 9.1 in/min
Y = Steps/Per 10666 (pretty sure this is correct)  70 to 120 in/min, accel = 9.1 in/min
Z = Steps/Per 10666 (pretty sure this is correct)  50 to 70  in/min, accel = 9.1 in/min

Interestingly, a relay box is occasionally also slow to respond.  Attached is a vid of the problem - this time on the Z-axis.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 + G540 + TechnoCNC = stalling. Tried just about everything...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:16:10 AM »
My first thoughts...

If it is OK when jogging (and does not stall) then try holding down the shift key and jogging. If it stalls then try reducing your velocity / acceleration settings.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »
I would first suggest that you drop the IPM to say 30 and  acceleration to 3 for the Z and see if you skip.
Your stepper is skipping. Could be due to binding at that part of the travel.

RICH  
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
Yep - even slower it still stalls.  It's like the data stream just 'hangs' mid-stream.  Is there any chance the LPT port isn't allowing enough data through?  Again, I do get the driver watchdog error....

dh

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
Have you run the driver test? On some PC's the pulse stream is not really stable and it can cause problems. The driver test shows you the latency (variation in time) in the software calls to the parallel port driver.  If the driver test comes out OK it would still be a good idea to take a look at the pulse stream with an oscilloscope as the PC hardware can also play a factor.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt