Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:16:31 AM

Author Topic: Spindle RPM feedback, not low enough.  (Read 22169 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle RPM feedback, not low enough.
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
Parallel port setup is usually easy and straightforward, why you are having problems I am not sure but it could be the Bob and that is why I suggested connecting to the port direct if possible. As you say your setup of having one BOB for outs and the other for Ins makes that easier.

If your Bridgeport is going to have servos then you may be better going with an external controller, just depends what you will have and what you are wanting as to which one to get.

Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 09:07:21 AM »
It's quite easy to see why I'm having problems, its called Karma!  :D
Laughing with a friend how said no one has got there machine to run not mention just to move, straight of off the bat, I boasted this one will, wiring is all spot on, no problem's here Mate! :'( Famous last words

My router is a bit of a Bitser, bit of this and that, CNC4PC boards, Homman speed controller, Probe by (?) forgot his name, but each of them had a problem to make them work together, but There was a solution.
I thought this time make it easy on me I'm going all the one brand items that are made to work together, All good till now, and to be honest I think it might be a signal issue from the bob to Mach also.
I will try the bypass of the BOB. If it works I know where to go from there.

The Mill is still in planning stage, I am thinking maybe smoothstepper system, with a servo spindle? Plenty of time to think about that one.

I really appreciated all your help! :)
Thanks
Katoh
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:09:56 AM by Katoh »
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
;D serves you right ;D

If going servos then I would say an external controller would be best simply due to the PP's limited kernel. Which one is personal choice. The Smoothstepper works well but for me I like my machines to have differential step/dir signals and 24v I/O. That meant I needed to make interface boards up but now the CSMIO controllers are on the scene they suit me much better and make things simpler.
Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 02:40:33 AM »
Hooray :)
Finally something that actually worked. I disconnected the Bob and went straight into the cable pins, located pin 15, and pin Common, and just moved the wires from the board to those pins. Big Big improvement, Still must say I have nothing but inaccurate readings below 40rpm, but with a index debounce setting of 5 I can go from 40 to 40000 without a problem, how accurate I'm not sure but at least stable.
Culprit was the BOB, so what to do now and how to bypass for one pin, or is it good idea to bypass?
I think I must have have a talk to Peter Homman first before more drastic measures are taken.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 03:46:07 AM »
Ok some progress, talking to Peter is definitely the thing to do. If you do need to bypass you could cut the cable and get a new plug and solder it on but leave one wire unconnected for your opto connecting direct to. No problems connecting direct, especially if you power from the computers own 5v. I ran mine on the Bridgeport for years direct to port 2.
Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 03:57:21 AM »
I sent Peter an Email just now, describing the situation, hopefully he will get back to me soon.
Just speculating maybe he has an assigned pin on his board specially for this, but I see an input as an input regardless of pin assignment, I on the offer could be wrong, hasn't happened before, apparently I was just mistaken.

I do like the CSMIO kits, I'm scared to ask how much, but the six axis unit looks like a great bit of gear.

Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 05:40:59 AM »
Price is on their website priced in Euros €, 
http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/sklep-dzial-1,-,-online-shop.html
Looks expensive at first but when you consider its all in one then it doesnt look so expensive, for example there are analogue inputs and outputs so you dont need a spindle motor board if using +-10v to a VFD. The analogue inputs can be used for Feed and Spindle overrides so no need for  any additional means of getting analogue inputs. There is no need for breakout boards as the I/O is all isolated, so thats basically 3 or more  breakout boards not needed. (32 Digital ins, 16 digital outs, 4 analogue ins, 2 analogue outs and six axis of step/dir signals)
The additional MPG unit is obviously extra but it has the best MPG motion I have seen and it works like it should, ie has x1 x10 x100 (x10 x100 x1000 setting for imperial) so each click will either be 0.01mm (0.001") 0.1mm(0.010") or 1mm (0.100") and is silky smooth and instant, ie wind the MPG fast in any of the 3 modes and stop winding and the axis stops, no buffering of motion like happens with a MPG via Mach.

Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 07:24:29 AM »
I will definitely look into one of those units for the mill, very nice indeed! Just need to finish the lathe, the boat, re-seal the bobcat, do a bit round the house, yard, go to work, ah! almost forgot keep the family happy, so I maybe planning sometime around May-June. :'(
But seriously I going to look into one. The Mills going to be another kettle of fish altogether, I'm also looking into steppers with feedback, now won't that be nice. Enough said on the mill I will start a new thread when the days get closer, or Ill ended hijacking my own thread. :D

Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »
Steppers with feedback have always  tempted people but I dont see any benefit in them. If a stepper loses position it is because it has stalled due to being overloaded, so no way back except E-Stop.
Hood

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
I will be looking forward to Peters reply .