Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:35:29 AM

Author Topic: Proma THC works in test mode only  (Read 13085 times)

Proma THC works in test mode only
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:06:16 AM »
I'm new to the plasma cutting scene and while I'm slowly learning how to use all this new technology I'm stuck at trying to get my Proma Electronika THC to work. I have a Viper Plasma 3 x 3 Table with Gecko g540 driver. Everlast Power Plasma 60C with a A81 machine Torch. I'm using Corel Draw 6 for my DXF files and Sheetcam and Mach3 for processing. The Proma THC seems to work when I try it in test mode. My Z axis goes up and down I can see all the correct lights in Mach3 for Arc OK, Torch Up and down. When I try to actually cut a part the Torch goes to the first pierce, lowers, fires and just stays there. I have to hit the torch button or Estop to shut it down. I've been reading as much as I can find on the subject and trying all kinds of setting changes but can't seem to solve the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Proma THC works in test mode only
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »
I ran into the same issue with the same controller and FINALLY figured it out today. jump your thc controller over to the H-U screen and it should read 200 or so...bump it up to its max 300 and it should fix the problem. I really have no clue to explain it but it finally got mine running. I'm running mach3 with a hypertherm 1000 on a 4x8 Eagle Plasma table with the proma thc. Hopefully this will get you Rollin!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Hi,
   Thanks for responding to my post. I tried your suggestion today and sorry to say it didn't work. I was really hoping it would. I've been struggling with this for 5 months now and nothing seems to work. The guy who sold me the table has stopped answering my calls or emails so the forums are my only hope of solving this. I appreciate your trying to help out. I haven't contacted Everlast yet .............maybe they'll have some input.

Thanks
                                                                                                                Ned
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:27 PM »
I'm sorry it didn't work for you. My issue was the pilot arc voltage would reach way over 200 and the thc wouldn't work until I raisedthe maxium up over 235 under the H-U setting. f I come across anything information on it I will let you know. Can you send me the other information you have set on your thc and I might can help. Al at Eagle Plasma sells the proma thc with his tables and he knows a decent bit about them and helped me finally figure it out.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »
Hi,
     I have my voltage set at 97 volts.........I arrived at this by lowering it till it wouldn't work in test mode.........then raising the voltage till it also stopped working. I couldn't find any spec's for voltage in the Everlast manual. My dwell is set at .2sec which I read that your dwell should be the same that it's set at in sheetcam. My setting in H V was 200v I changed it to 300 v like you suggested and nothing changed. I don't know much about this.....but it seems like Mach 3 is not seeing my arc ok signal. I'm wondering if I need a different post processor for sheetcam. I'm using Mach 3 plasma post which says it's for plasma without THC. Just a thought.......like I said I'm a beginner at this and I'm just guessing at this point. I appreciate your trying to help me get this running. If ya think of anything else shoot me an email. If I happen to solve it I'll let ya know.

thanks
                                                                                               Ned
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
Hey Ned

It may be something with your post processor that isn't letting you run it. I run mach3 plasma with floating touchoff and have not tried to run my thc with the regular plasma post. I'll be running mine tonight and try to run a file off of the regular mach3 plasma processor to see if it affects mine. Also, is your thc controller reading voltage when you come down and strike an arc? If so...can you send me what your thc is reading at that time? And if it does read voltage... Here are the steps that I used to set up my height controller when I first started. Make you a dxf file of a straight line about 12 to 14 inches long. Run it in sheetcam and create the tap file and load in up in mach3. Run your cutter (z) down till you reach the height your cutter will cut the smoothest and zero your Z here. Start your cycle with THC OFF and read the height controllers screen and see what your average voltage for your height that you wish to cut. Use this number as your thc voltage. This is how Al instructed me to set up the height. I do know if you set your voltage in a range in which your cutter is not performing at...it won't sense the arc and thus not send a signal to mach3. I completely understand how frustrating it is....I've only had my table for 6 months and only have had the thc working for a week now. I will let you know how my thc runs in that post processor tonight.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
 ???Hey Guys.  I have the same problem I think.  I am new.  My Proma THC (bought from deadbeats ViperPlasma) works in test mode only.  Another thing I don't know is where to set the Z.  Do i set it so the torch head is touching the material? or to what looks like a proper gap between my torch and material?   Is the torch supposed to lower itself and find the material surface height automatically?   Back to the THC, the display is only dashes when I run a cut.  I've set the HV to 300 like you suggested with no results.  I got my voltage from the Hypertherm manual of 118 for .135" aluminum, does this sound right?  The H45 is 4v, the DT is .5v, the HV is 300v. ???
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »
Well I figured out for myself that I can't use the information from Viperplasma completely.  The wiring diagram I downloaded for the THC from their site was wrong for my powermax 45.  I went to the found and downloaded an operator manual for the THC and it indicated the wiring to be different.  The THC has a low voltage sense input because the hypertherm Powermax has a 1:50 voltage divider built in and the factory outputs from the plasma cutter had to be hooked up to the appropriate low voltage inputs on the THC.
After all that the THC is working sort of.  I have nested 10 parts in my sheet cam and when I cut in Mach 3 the cut heights are very inconsistent.  When I'm cutting .125" aluminum sometimes it cuts at .200" some times at .250"  sometimes up to .395".  What's going on?  how am I supposed to set my initial Z height?  do I set Z at zero with the torch touching the material?  My friend said his torch lowers and taps the material when he starts a cut program.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »
I ran into the same issue with the same controller and FINALLY figured it out today. jump your thc controller over to the H-U screen and it should read 200 or so...bump it up to its max 300 and it should fix the problem. I really have no clue to explain it but it finally got mine running. I'm running mach3 with a hypertherm 1000 on a 4x8 Eagle Plasma table with the proma thc. Hopefully this will get you Rollin!

I need some help on wiring up the Proma THC to the Hypertherm 1000.  Can you provide me with some guidance please?  Thanks in advance.