Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:56:08 AM

Author Topic: DC-K40 Laser conversion issue  (Read 34699 times)

Re: DC-K40 Laser conversion issue
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
I have the exact same setup as the "p00ky" has. I have my "Z" on pin 4. I have setup the Laser to run off the Z up and down. My problem is even when Z is pulled up I still get laser fire, not much but enough. The laser is not totally disengaging so on travel I get burn lines. No big deal with my router churning away it has been pulled up, but a big deal with a laser though. I was wondering if there is a way to put something in line that would either be on or off not variable?

Thanks Tweakie

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 01:25:43 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Perhaps the GCode M11P1/M10P1 commands are the way forward - it is the system I now use.
This document and the attached comments refer http://hobbycncart.com/publ/cikkek/mach3_temaju_cikkek/switching_a_laser_under_mach_control/8-1-0-29

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
Hey Tweakie,

I read your write up on your web site about using the Z axis as the switch for the Laser. That looks to me the way to go. Using the Spindle Relay is not working out on the Blue Board. I get trace lines left by the laser when it jogs from cut to cut. So which one(s) do you use ZA+ ZA- ZB+ ZB- and what should I connect the GND too? Do I need to use Mach3 Mill or Mach3 Plasma?

Thanks Tweakie

Jeff

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 01:34:41 AM »
Hi Jeff,

If you want to use the Z axis then it's the Z Axis direction pin# (Config. / Ports & Pins / Motor Outputs). GND is connected to the breakout board GND.

(please be aware that all the axis direction pins retain state (hi / low) until that particular axis is moved in the opposite direction).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »
I new that. Had a brain fart when I wrote that asking what pin to use on the output for the motor  ;D. I found a video of a guy who used the "Mist/Pump" part of Mach3 to make sure the laser was off when it should be off. I will figure out sooner or later what will work on this thing.

Thanks
Jeff
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
first off, thanks for the wiring Tweakie!!  I have been high and low trying to find a pinout for this power supply, contacted the seller and the manufacturer.  apparently they only make them and its up to others to figure out how to use it...

anyway, did you ever figure out how to fix the firing problem?  Mine is doing the EXACT same thing, the laser fires on Z down, and sputters on Z up leaving little trails on the rapids and it's driving me crazy.  My wiring is exactly as in the diagram except on my board its pin 6 for Z direction.  Any suggestions would help a lot.  Thanks in advance...

derrick
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
first off, thanks for the wiring Tweakie!!  I have been high and low trying to find a pinout for this power supply, contacted the seller and the manufacturer.  apparently they only make them and its up to others to figure out how to use it...

anyway, did you ever figure out how to fix the firing problem?  Mine is doing the EXACT same thing, the laser fires on Z down, and sputters on Z up leaving little trails on the rapids and it's driving me crazy.  My wiring is exactly as in the diagram except on my board its pin 6 for Z direction.  Any suggestions would help a lot.  Thanks in advance...

derrick

Sorry no, I cannot get it to stop firing the laser. I just about gave up on the whole thing. $500.00's of disappointment. I do know for a fact I'm getting a 0.01v  to the pin 14. I'm guessing if it's not exactly 0.0v it will fire the laser - super sensitive to this. Everyone I ask will not give you a simple response. Go read here or go read this, that's not helping. I have followed the conversion to the "T" and no go for me.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 01:56:52 AM »
Hi Guys,

It sounds to me like you are experiencing a difference in potential between the GND connections between your computer LPT port and the machines PSU GND.

The LPT port’s pins 18-25 are GND and one of these pins must be connected to the laser PSU’s GND point (adjacent to the TTL(L) signal input as shown in my earlier diagram),

This should resolve the problem of the laser firing when it should be off.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »
Mine is wired from the ground on the driver board through the spindle relay and to the ground on the power supply.  does that make a difference?  I was getting ready to either put resistor on the line or thought maybe it was noise and was thinking of maybe an optocoupler.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
My advice is to take the connection directly from the PSU GND to the LPT GND not going through the spindle relay.
If you need to use the spindle relay then take the interlock protection circuit through the spindle relay.

Tweakie.
PEACE