Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:04:09 PM

Author Topic: edit/add hot keys  (Read 5308 times)

edit/add hot keys
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Is it possible to edit/add hot keys in the MSM screen set? I would like to assign some of the unused keys on my keyboard to turn the spindle off/on ect...

Thank you,
Ian
Re: edit/add hot keys
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
Hi,
Well, yes - but due to the way Mach implements screen sets, it's not as easy as one could wish for...  ;D

Key strokes and mouse events are handled by Mach, and mach is responsible for doing whatever action is appropriate for a given key stroke. Mach can be instructed what to do for some keys, but not all keys. For example the Tab key always toggles the mach flyout page; you can't assign any other key to do that, nor can you use the tab key for something else.

Fortunately, many keys can be mapped to some action. This correspondence between keys and actions is defined when a screen set (Set file) is created - it is not a "run time" defined facility.

What you can do is make a customized version of the MSM set file and change the hot key mappings in your customized set file.

The basic process is:
1) Make a clone of the MSM set file to serve as a base for your changes (See section 15 and 10.3.1.1.2 of the MSM user manual)
2) Use a screen set file editor to change the default MSM hot key mappings (I recommend MachScreen for set file editing). You will have to find the buttons you want a hot key mapped to and set that key as a property of the button via the screen set editor.
3) tell MSM to use your customized MSM set file (user manual section 10.3.1.1.1)

BTW, since you mentioned spindle on/off, in case you were not aware of them, there are already hot keys set up in MSM for those actions. See section 2.2.4 of the user manual for the MSM hotkeys.

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com