Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:42:55 AM

Author Topic: Floating head auto-zero set-up confusion. Please, somebody, help me!  (Read 10357 times)

Hey everyone, I appreciate that this is the Mach3 forum an I'm running on about G-code and Sheetcam but I hope that there is some of you guys out there who are able to help a struggling builder.

I have built a CNC Plasma table and it works very well in its basic form ie, CAD (Visio), CAM (Sheetcam) and Control (Mach3). It cuts out what I want but irregularities in the material can cause poor cut quality and/or the arc to go out if the gap gets too big.

I decided to start with (ie, before I get THC) I would build a floating head so that the machine will "auto-zero" before each time it pierces the material.

So far so good, physically the head works and I can move it so it actuates the micro switch and illuminates the LED on the diagnostics page.

I did some research into auto zeroing the Z axis and found several posts on the subject. I have got my own head around the fact that I need to insert some lines of G-code into the program so that the head will wind down to the limit switch and reset the "Z", then wind back up a pre-set amount and then move to pierce height.

I copied the code that I found on this forum...

N0120 G28.1 Z0.50
N0130 G92 Z0.0
N0140 G00 Z0.1370
N0150 G92 Z0.0
N0160 G00 Z0.2000

...and adapted it to my own machines needs ie,...

N0120 G28.1 Z0.50
N0130 G92 Z0.0
N0140 G00 Z13.25
N0150 G92 Z0.0
N0160 G00 Z5

this I added to the "run code snippet" bit in Sheetcam and selected it in the "operations" window, posted the code and ran it with Mach3.

The problem

The code seems to run right at the start of the cycle and not on the pierce as I require.

on further reading I picked up that I should add the code to an edited "Post processor". I looked up the post processor that I'm using (Mach3 Plasma) and opened it with (windows) notebook.

That is where the trouble starts! I am out of my depth here and could do with a few pointers in the right direction.

1. Am I using the correct post processor for a machine with a floating head?

2. If I were to edit this file, where in hecks name do I insert the few lines of code?

3. If I should use the "run a code snippet" thing in Sheetcam then how do I get it to run in the right place?

ONE IS TOTALLY CONFUDDLED ???

Please can someone help with this as I had hair when I started and I'm pretty thin on top now!

Thanks for your time. Any more info required I'll get it posted ASAP.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Floating head auto-zero set-up confusion. Please, somebody, help me!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:13 PM »
FIrst you need to use a POST that was made for a floating head plasma.

IF you use teh G28.1 method then use a post for a MP1000

If you use the G31 method then use a post for a THC300

Then open the post for edit and look for

RefDistance=         Then set the value to 1

Switchoffset=        the amount of switch travel your head has.

THat should get you going. You may have to juggle the switch value to get it right for your machine.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »
Thanks Bud, I'll get the old girl fired up tomorrow evening and give it a go.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
Hooray it works!

Thanks very much for your help with this matter. I used a different post processor (MP1000-THC - scriber) and edited it as directed. The floating head only bloody works! SWEET!!