Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:24:26 AM

Author Topic: Rotary axis position issue  (Read 8279 times)

Offline WMT

•  22 22
    • View Profile
    • www.intaglio.co.nz
Re: Rotary axis position issue
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 05:38:31 AM »
Thanks Hood. No I dont have a build thread for it. But I do have a sub page on my website. http://www.intaglio.co.nz/hm463.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:48:38 AM »
Do you know why there is a need to count more than 360 degrees?

Don't have a specific answer for you but i have used it on the lathe to cut a continous  line around a cylinder such that
the A rotates 2 revolutions at some z distance and thus you have a barber pole effect.
Sort of like slaving a rotary to an axis. Haven't fooled with that in a long time.

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
Looks good :)
Do you  need the brake with that reduction?
Got any pics of the motor?

Hood
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
Mate - That does look good - well done, Do you have any more construction details and photos?
Steve

Offline WMT

•  22 22
    • View Profile
    • www.intaglio.co.nz
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
Hi Rich  :). I would have to say that I havent had the need to slave an axis yet. Perehaps in the future I might need to do it.

It sort of looks like I dont need a brake Hood. But I bet if I didnt put one on it. I would need it. Especially when machining large steel things.
I will throw a pic of the motor fitted on my web page for you.

Thanks Steve. Ive got a few more pics on my website. And Ive got a 3D CAD model of it.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
Thanks for that, was kind of interested in the gearbox,do you have a link?
Hood

Offline WMT

•  22 22
    • View Profile
    • www.intaglio.co.nz
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
Its three pics up from the bottom of the page Hood http://www.intaglio.co.nz/hm463.html 
Gearbox is a CSF-100-25 Harmonic Drive. They are very compact with zero backlash. Mind due anything looks compact next to the 660 watt servo.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
Ah sorry, didnt make myself too clear. Was wondering if you had a link to where you got the box. But now I know the model I can google it :) Thanks

Hood
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
Hi WHT
I have the servo and a harmonic drive - it looks about the same as yours, mine is 100 to 1 and about 5 1/4 inches in outside diameter. Its a Harmonic Drive Technologies HDC 2M 100 2A. I was planning to mimic my lathe spindle with a D1 4 chuck mount so I could use the same chucks as well as the collets that go in it (5C).  I have been thinking about how to get it all together for a few months now. You have given me some inspiration with yours.

Is your belt drive 1 to 1 or something else - I was planning on 1 to 1 with my servo's encoder having 10,000 positions I didn't think I would need more resolution and at 3000 rpm at the servo I could still get 30 rpm at the chuck which should be heaps.

Please tell me more about your brake - like what cylinder did you use - a commercial one? and where you got it. Does it automatically apply when the spindle has stopped?

The CAD drawings would be good to look at - if you wanted to post them here - others might get some use from them as well.

I take it from your web site your a Kiwi - Bad luck about the Cricket - bloody South Africans smacked us too in Oz.

Steve

Offline WMT

•  22 22
    • View Profile
    • www.intaglio.co.nz
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »
Hi Steve. I'm glad you got some ideas from it. There is a slight reduction in the belts too. About a third. But with what Ive found so far is its not really needed with the 100 to 1 from the harmonic drive.  As for the brake. I havent got around to making it yet. It uses a SMC pneumatics CQ2A50-10DC air cylinder mounted to a custom floating caliper that I designed. It automatically clamps and unclamps from a signal in the Granite Devices servo drive.  I will throw some more pics on my website later in the week of the braking system.