Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 10:36:13 PM

Author Topic: Plasma axis swapped but okay in mill  (Read 6508 times)

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
Plasma axis swapped but okay in mill
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »
I have been messing with Mach in mill mode and it seems easy and straight forward.  I have used Mach in a third party THC mode for plasma table motion, again easy and straight forward.  However, when I open Mach in the plasma mode the axis are swapped.  I reckon I could change the stepper leads but that would not identify or solve the the issue.  How do I assign the axis within Mach to match the output.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Plasma axis swapped but okay in mill
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »
Config menu then Ports and Pins then Motor Setup. Assign the port and pin number for each axis there.
Hood

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:06:59 AM »
Hood,

Tried that and it doesn't work.  It acts almost like the TB6560.  After I posted I tried lying by changing the pin numbers with no luck.  That is, I pushed the page down key and noted which stepper moved and then assigned that pin number to the Z axis . . . nothing changed.  The pins for the Gecko 540 are very easy to remember, 2&3, 4&5, 6&7, and 8&9.  It works fine in Mill mode.  We plasma has not worked from the start but I did not pay much attention thinking it was in the setup.

I just used mill mode for the learning curve during which time I thought  I would add a THC to the project.  Not sure that I really need a THC but I was amused by a rotary axis add-in that came with it.  The THC arrived by the time the table was ready to go.  The THC came with its own setup parameters and it was never necessary to perfect the Mach Plasma mode.

When the time came to execute the test protocol for plasma portion of the THC a board in its controller got fried.  However, before that and now the THC motion control and its setup worked just fine.  The THC used the aforementioned pins, 2&3 and so on.

When I set the Plasma mode using the same protocol as in Mach Mill and the THC it does not work.  It acts like it is locked and the pin values do not change anything.  I found a post with the exact issue but I did not see an answer.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:28:39 PM »
Can you post your mill and plasma xml.
Sort of sounds like the THC hardware/software is interfering.
Hood

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
Excellent observation.  Except I had a hint of the problem prior to installing the THC. I wrote it off to setup and messed with the operational Mill setup.  Didn't delve enough to be certain, however, I have uninstalled all software and re-installed it twice.  The problem is still there and it is not in Mill. 

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Oh, the THC hardware is on its way for repair and no longer connected.  But if it is a residual of the THC, where does it live on the computer or Mach?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
I have no experience with THC hardware so dont know what it consists of. I can check your xmls and see what is different but if you need help with the specifics of the THC hardware/software then you really need to talk to the supplier/manufacturer.
Hood

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »
Thanks,  I am not persuaded that it is a THC issue or at least a third party THC issue.  The issue seemingly resides in Mach.
I haven't even messed with the THC portion within the Mach Plasma, I am just trying to get x y & z movements.  When I installed Mach it presents three options for opening a screen, mill, lathe, and plasma.  Life is good in mill and I have never looked at lathe.  However, upon opening plasma even for the first time it seemed SNAFU.  If your Mach options are the same, would you be so kind as to have look at Plasma and see if it will move anything as it should.  It needs to hooked to a machine . . . the DROs move as they should.

If the forum doesn't have the answer where does one seek help for Mach?
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »
I'd suggest copying your mill xml file to a new name, then loading that xml and then changing to the plasma screen under view/load screen.

John

Offline c30232

•  122 122
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »
John,

I, knowing that recovery was easy, did the lazy thing and just loaded the plasma screen in the functional mill setup and it seems to have done the trick.  Thank you!  I have bee focused on the table and have not delved into screens beyond knowing that the feature exists.  All of the operational functions seem the same but are triggered by a different GUI.  Thanks again.  Perfect!