Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:36:42 AM

Author Topic: homming with Ethernet SS problem  (Read 3413 times)

homming with Ethernet SS problem
« on: December 23, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »
Hi all

I have a very strange problem with homing my axis. I have 4 axis, A slave to Y, all 4 axes with magnetic home switches (reed).

Before installing the ESS, it happen a few times that when homing the gantry came all the way to hit the switches and ruin my square. Didn't know what it was.

Figured out that is safer to use a physical stop - and good I did, as once every 20 homings the gantry tries to hit the limits, but no more chances now!!!. Now it just hits the bolt I put - over and over again, until I stop the router. But I saw that there are 2 situations when the gantry doesn't stop in the magnetic limits: (i) mach3 says limit switch triggered, and (ii) other when mach3 says nothing. But in both cases the Y and A readings in mach3 stop, so mach does not send any more impulses - or at least this is what I imply.

Still, that should be fine unless other issues gives me a very hard time: repetability of the homing is bad. I mean 0.3mm. I measure a distance between gantry and the fixed table, and get random variations.
I saw it indeed more since I installed the ESS. If I do holes in the table, when restarting the mach3 and the router, do homing and redo the holes, no more repetability.
To be mentioned that if I do NOT make a homing, I can run the router for an hour and get very good repetability - 0.02mm or so.

I read that magnetic switches are very accurate. Cannot figure out where the problems comes from. Any idea?

Marius
Re: homming with Ethernet SS problem
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »
Between magnetic, mechanical snap action and optical, magnetic switches are probably the least accurate.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
The trigger point of any non-contact switch can be effected by outside conditions.  That's not a big deal if you're just detecting an open door, but when you need exact repeatability, a snap action limit switch works best. 

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Limit_Switches/Compact_Limit_Switches_%28AEM2G_Series%29/Lever_with_Roller_Actuator/AEM2G42Z11-3 
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:28:26 AM »