Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:47:18 AM

Author Topic: Simple code for simple shapes  (Read 4093 times)

Simple code for simple shapes
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Hi,

Im a mach user of several years and i love it, i had a friend call me today and ask if i could help him, he has a gas profile burner which copies a part and woul like to convert it to cnc. He makes really simple geometirc shapes, circles from 2 inch plate to turn into bearing housings squares rectangles etc and its really important that i can get him the ability to generate code for tese simple shapes easily, i mean really easy, hes not fussed by work offsets, he knows his nozzle has a set kerf and is happy to add it to the size of shape, he needs no z axis at all, no gas on and off, he literally needs something that will run along a path when he presses the cycle start button, what is the best way to do this? I looked at wizards, very close but most of them seem to be aimed at milling operations, is it something i could develop easily myself?

Thanks alot

matt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Simple code for simple shapes
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
Wizards may work with a bit of editing of the code they produce but if its really simple things then hand coding may be the best way. You could also make up your own wizards if you wanted, should be relatively easy to do for simple shapes. Best way to see how they are done is open a wizard then click Edit Button script (from Operator menu) and you should see a button flash, if you click it you will see the VB code inside it.
Maybe also look at the Mach Toolbox part of the forum, I am sure Terry has stuff there for plasma shapes which may help.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »
Gotcha Covered,

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,21395.0.html

We can Modify it to exactly what he needs for gas cutting.

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:47:54 AM »
Looks good!

I suppose the z axis stuff either needs removing or it could jus be ignored couldnt it? No motor connected, no pins assigned, no numbers put into the wizard?

It looks as though there is no lead in so he could just position the torch where he wants the shape, 0 x and y, light the torch, wait for the desired preheat time then press cycle start?

Maybe i will hook him up a push button for cycle start and a knob for fro, then he can drive just like the magnet machine.

Thanks

matt

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »
I can modify it for Flame torch use. Just let me know HOW he needs it to work.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
Ok, what im imagining is i set the computer up to run mach on startup, mach is all the computer does as far as he is concerned, it would be great id the wizard could be put into a tab in the main screen set, (maybe if you give me some pointers i could do this as i plan to make him a screenset and cut down on stuff that he wont use and will confuse) , go to the wizard, type in relevant criteria, ie shape size and feed rate, press generate code and return to program run, jog to the 0,0 position, bottom left of a square i presume? press a button to run your script to check the extents of the part on the material and check for nozzle clearance, return to 0,0 light the torch, preheat the metal, pierce by turning the knob on top of the torch, when a hole is made press the cycle start and watch mach guide the torch around your shape, make minor adjustments to feed rate using an external fro knob, complete the part and shut the torch off.

My only question is over lead ins, if they are possible then great, if not thats fine

matt