Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:34:30 AM

Author Topic: The Traveler Pen Version 2  (Read 6956 times)

The Traveler Pen Version 2
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
This took a while to do but I finally got it done.  I took a few quick shots.  Sterling Sliver and ebonite with blackwood and pommelle.

I engraved all the pieces.  The compass, clip and center band say "To travel hopefully" from Robert L Stevenson's "To travel hopefully is a better thing then to arrive"

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: The Traveler Pen Version 2
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:40:39 PM »
Nice work.  :)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

ynneb

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:39 AM »
Maybe they shouldn't be called traveler pens. Many airlines would consider them as weapons nowdays.
How much do you plan on selling them for ?
What machine process do you use to engrave around the lid. Hand or machine?
What do your machines look like ? It would be good to see a few pics of the pens while been made!

I want one :)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »
I have not thought about a price as of yet.  Only because I need to optimize the time it takes to make one.  I use a 4 axis Grizzly mini mill that I retrofitted to go all the cutting and engraving.  I enameled the compass engraving.  Next setup i will take some photos.

As for not taking pens on a plane these are the ones that WILL get taken if you carry them on board:

This is a cartridge pen that I have been working on the design for a while.  I am now "happy" with the clip which I make from a casing, Also it is a real pain to solder the clip to the top casing.  These brass casings are thin and not made of the best materials.  They tend to pit when heating them up.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
Very well done nice styling
Marcel

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
Looks like Marcel has found another with something in common. CRAFTSMANSHIP. ;D

Looks very nice.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 01:09:27 AM »
The rifle shells takes me back to high school metalwork class in about 1972 or so. I made a hash pipe out of a 303 shell. You took the business end off to reveal a roach clip. I managed to do it bit by bit when the teacher wasn't looking. Then someone spilled the beans and it was confiscated in front of the whole class - just after a test drive out back. The next day I got called into the shop teacher's office. He handed it back and gave me a B+ ( would have been an A were it not for some vice marks on the head !) What a cool teacher.
David Morrow