Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:58:23 AM

Author Topic: How do you Resume Cutting?  (Read 9317 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
How do you Resume Cutting?
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
When I run a gcode cutting whatever I have on my table and I press the E-Stop for whatever reason, if I don’t mode the tool can I press the "Cycle Start" button to resume my cutting from where I stopped?

When would you use the button "Run from Here"
Nicolas

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Re: How do you Resume Cutting?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Click feedhold then run to start again. I have done this
numerous times and have had great luck. Some others
have had issues with it.
Hope this helps!!
olf20 / Bob
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
Thank you Bob but I dont have feedhold on my Mach3 screen. In any case this will not help me because my question was how to resume my cut after I hit the E-stop.

My cnc is new so I'm always on guard for any strange noises and today during a trial cut I heard a strange sound from the spindle and immediately I pressed the E-Stop. Since it was a trial cut I did not mind to scrap it but I would like to know how you resume your cut after an E-Stop (assuming that you dont move the tool)
Nicolas

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »
To resume after an Estop you would

Re Reference the machine

Reset the Origin (Xo Y0 Z0)of the part to be machined

Use Set Next Line to move to the line of the gcode program where you would like to restart at OR move to the line position in the Gcode screen

Use Run From Here to restart your Gcode program, Follow the prompts to restart.

Hope that helps, (;-) TP

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:36 AM »
Thank you Bob but I dont have feedhold on my Mach3 screen. In any case this will not help me because my question was how to resume my cut after I hit the E-stop.

My cnc is new so I'm always on guard for any strange noises and today during a trial cut I heard a strange sound from the spindle and immediately I pressed the E-Stop. Since it was a trial cut I did not mind to scrap it but I would like to know how you resume your cut after an E-Stop (assuming that you dont move the tool)

See the problem is when you hit an E-stop or turn off the machine, the motors move a bit, so you can't just start it right back up from where you are because you will not be in the same exact position.

This is why you must follow the procedure that Terry (BR549)  has described in the post before mine.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
Thank you all
Nicolas
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
You should just add a feedhold button in screen designer.  feedhold then cycle start is SOOOOOO much easier than Run From Here when you just need to pause and resume.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Another approach when you are learning is to use the single step feature which executes one block (line) at a time, each time you click Cycle Start.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
If you re - reference the machine, why do you need to reset the origin of the part?  That's a bit crap!  Mostly we don't have to re - reference a machine at work after Estop, but there should be no need to reset the origin of a job, quite often the work we do you can't re set the origin after you've started machining - like turning a ball for example

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
That should have been one OR the other. A LOT of commercial machines have absolute encoders that as long as the batteries are good you don't loose position on reset.

With MAch3 when you reset Mach dumps everything in the buffer and looses all reference to position.  AND the machine may MOVE when the drives are turned off.

YOUR choice, your part, your machine

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:14:45 PM by BR549 »