Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:20:23 PM

Author Topic: spindle load feedback to mach3  (Read 19492 times)

spindle load feedback to mach3
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
i have an invertor that has a rs485? output.  seems to just be 2 wire termainals.

is there a way i can feed back the amps/load to mach3?

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: spindle load feedback to mach3
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
What inverter is it?

It can be done, however without knowing what inverter you have, nobody can really tell you.
Provided the inverter can output the required information via RS485 (aka Modbus), and you have an adapter to connect RS485 to your computer, it is doable.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
As and option most VFD have a removeable display /programming panel. With a simple extention cable you can move it over to your control display. I did mine that way years ago in lue of fiddling with modbus/rs485/rs232

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
have atached the io page.  may tell you more about the rs485.  nowhere in the manual does it talk about the output or give any info about this output at all.  i assume there is some other programming manual that i just don't have.

the invertor is a vp10 vacon unit

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
I'm not sure if I've got the manual for the same VFD, but according to this manual (http://www.vacon.com/ImageVaultFiles/id_2862/cf_2/Vacon-10-User-Manual-DPD00717C2-EN.PDF) all the information you want is available via Modbus.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
wow thanks.  that would have been a great help when i was trying to sort these out when i got them.

cheers.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
OK, I am looking into getting a  FR-D700 Mitsubishi VFD, the BOB is already set up so one RJ45 cable does it all, analog of course.  Is there an advantage if I try Modbus?   What is most important to me is a spindle load meter displayed in mach.  I am clueless as to how to go about that.  I have a very meager understandging of modbus after reading up a bit on the topic.   
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »
OK, I am looking into getting a  FR-D700 Mitsubishi VFD, the BOB is already set up so one RJ45 cable does it all, analog of course.  Is there an advantage if I try Modbus?   What is most important to me is a spindle load meter displayed in mach.  I am clueless as to how to go about that.  I have a very meager understandging of modbus after reading up a bit on the topic.  

The problem with using analog is that you need an analog input to the computer. Using Modbus brings the info in without the need for an analog input. Many converters allow you to bring in a fair amount of info via Modbus.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
OK, I am looking into getting a  FR-D700 Mitsubishi VFD, the BOB is already set up so one RJ45 cable does it all, analog of course.  Is there an advantage if I try Modbus?   What is most important to me is a spindle load meter displayed in mach.  I am clueless as to how to go about that.  I have a very meager understandging of modbus after reading up a bit on the topic.   

Are you talking hardware converter or computer language converter.  If you talking hardware converter, thats the easiest part of teh whole deal.  I don't understand how to write p[ackets and all that.  How do I communicate speed control via modbus for example, that is not digital yes or no signal. 
The problem with using analog is that you need an analog input to the computer. Using Modbus brings the info in without the need for an analog input. Many converters allow you to bring in a fair amount of info via Modbus.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »
I'm curious what you plan to do with spindle load feedback.  Mach3 can't really make use of it to do much useful, other than display it.  An analog ammeter connected to the motor would seem a more useful tool to me....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.