Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:48:21 PM

Author Topic: Trouble with CSMIO/IP-M  (Read 13234 times)

Trouble with CSMIO/IP-M
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:41:54 AM »
Hey Guys,

I hate to be asking for help on my first post, so apologies for that.

Now;

I have set up a new CSMIO/IP-M to replace a cheap chinese motion controller (and replacing NCSTUDIO with MACH3 in the process).

The manual is pretty straight forward, and the axes jogged straight away when powered up, and the VFD is reading the analog signal without problems.

However;

None of the digital inputs/outputs work.  I connected home/limit switches to 3 of the digital inputs, from +24v to the switch to the + digital input, along with the emergency stop.  This is how it is described in the diagram in the manual.  I setup mach3 with the ports set to 10 and the inputs set to the various pins.

I set up the various settings to make the spindle switch on with the Digital Output 4.

When I toggle the spindle, the output light on the CSMIO controller does not light up.  As a matter of fact, when all the outputs are mapped to the enable signals in mach, they still don't light up.  HOWEVER, if you set output 4 as the HVenable in the plugin settings, the light comes on!

The digital inputs do not respond at all to any inputs, ie none of the leds come on and nothing is triggered in mach.

I spent 8 hours today trying to work this out, can anyone please help?

This seems like such a silly little problem but is a major pain.

Thanks

Ash

PS. - Page 21 of the manual shows pins 9 and 23 as the connections for the digital outputs that require 24v from the inverter, yet the manual on page 12 suggests that this may be incorrect I think?  But anyway, I should just be using one of the relays to switch the inverter on, as it has no 24v output as suggested.
Re: Trouble with CSMIO/IP-M
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
Hi industriald,

I'm not quite sure what the problem is, so I'm going to describe setting up an input and an output step by step.
Maybe you forgot one detail.

Here is an example for the emergency stop:
We are using the digital input 0 in this example.
Connect 24V to the switch (normal closed) and the switch to pin 1 (Digital In 0 +)
Connect 0V / GND to pin 14 (Digital In 0 -)
(see attached schematics)

To make mach3 react to the input, we configure the E-Stop Port/Pin to Port 10 (CSMIO/IP) and Pin 0 (Digital IN 0).
We set the pin to "active low" since the E-Stop is normally closed.
(see attached screenshot)

Configure Output for Spindle ON / OFF
Mach Provides 6 Digital Outputs for various functions.
We can define two outputs for the spindle, for Clockwise and Counterclowise operation.
First we have to define which of the six outputs we want to use. We use Output #1 for both directions in this example.
This can be done in "Config -> Ports & Pins -> Spindle Setup -> Relay Control" (See attached screenshot)

Now we have to configure which CSMIO Pin the "Output #1" should be mapped to.
We use Digital Output 0 in this example. (Port 10, Pin 0) (See attached screenshot)

Hope this helps.
BT
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
Hi BT,

Thanks heaps for your help.

This appears to be entirely different to what the manual says.

In the schematic in the manual, it just has the estop going from +24v to the input, with no reference to ground.  Also, my pin numbers start at 1, there is no pin0.

Are you saying that the inputs and outputs are referred to as the number they are assigned, and NOT by the pins they are physically connected to?|

So in my case, digital output 5 (relay) would actually be Port 10, Pin 5?

Thanks and kind regards

Ash

EDIT - I missed the part in the manual where it says output/input number is the Pin number in mach.  will try it again and report back.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:44:35 PM by industriald »
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »
It is fixed!  Thanks so much BT, I owe you!
Ash
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »
No problem. Glad I could help.
BT
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:30:39 AM »
:D