Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:57:36 PM

Author Topic: Using HSMXpress Adaptive Clearing  (Read 5946 times)

Using HSMXpress Adaptive Clearing
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »
Hi,

Been some time since I posted.  I recently downloaded and integrated the free HSMXpress CAM program into my copy of Solidworks.  What a step up from my previous methods!!  I am impressed.

This video shows the machining (adaptive clearing) of a 38 x 38 mm Aluminium Lid for a 4 cavity microwave filter.  Details of the cutter and feeds and speeds are described in the text for the video.

I also machined the associated 4 cavity filter, something my previous methods would taken aged to program. 

The video is not very impressive, but gives some idea of the adaptive clearing capability of HSMXpress.  The on-line youtube tutorials are great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dku0SqnpOGA&feature=youtu.be

Happy viewing.

Chrisjh
Re: Using HSMXpress Adaptive Clearing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
Here is a photo of the finished parts.  The filter body was also programmed using HSMXpress and machined on my Syil CNC Mill.  I would not have even attempted to program this with my previous methods.

Right pain of a job,  the cavities are 14mm deep with only 4mm of clearance between the centre posts and the walls.  I ended up using a 1/8" 2 Flute long series cutter with 15.875 cutting edges and going very, very slow with light cuts.  Each cavity took 15 minutes.

The customer was desperate.  I advised them the correct way to do this job was to make the posts separately and bolt them in after the cavities were machined.

Regards

Chrisjh