Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:58:24 PM

Author Topic: Compatible PC Combo MoBo  (Read 5938 times)

Compatible PC Combo MoBo
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »
Sooooo many to choose from ::)

I'm needing a new Mach set-up and am wanting a mini itx mobo for a custom cabinet/enclosure.

Any specific ones recommended ? ? ? Or, any brands/types to avoid ? ? ? Personal preferences / experiences WELCOME !  :)

Assuming at least 1 G processor speed and 1 G RAM ? ? ? ? Literally HUNDREDS to choose from.

Sampling:   http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=mini+itx+motherboard&_sop=10&LH_ItemCondition=3&_osacat=0&_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=mini+itx+motherboard+combo&_sacat=0

Do the SS HDD's work well ? Looking at 32 and 64 G models. Nice and small.

Need to order in the coming week.

Thanks to all,
Russ :)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Compatible PC Combo MoBo
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »
DO you plan on using the LPT port or something else ? 

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:05:24 PM »
Will be needing additional I/O + faster pulsing for servos, so either an E-SS or one of the CS-MIO products.

Thanks for helping again TP,
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
Here is someone that has done it. Pay attention to the suggested supply link(;-)

http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/Mini-itx.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »
Heck just do saerch there is PLENTY of info out there on the subject.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
Many searches done. Akways search and read manuals before posting. Some of the nomenclature is over my experience level though.
Like: FSB ....

FSB Stands for "frontside bus." The FSB connects the computer's processor to the system memory (RAM) and other components on the motherboard. These components include the system chipset, AGP card, PCI devices, and other peripherals. Because the FSB serves as the main path from the processor to the rest of the motherboard, it is also called the "system bus."

The speed of the frontside bus is measured in Megahertz or Gigahertz, just like the processor. Most computers' processors run faster than their system buses, so the FSB speed is typically a ratio of the processor speed. For example, a Pentium 4 processor that runs at 2.4 GHz may have an FSB speed of only 400 MHz. The CPU to FSB ratio would be 6:1. A Power Mac G5, however, with a 2.0 GHz processor, has a 1.0 GHz frontside bus. Therefore, its CPU to FSB ratio is 2:1.

The smaller the ratio, the more efficiently the processor can work. Therefore, faster frontside bus speeds lead to faster overall performance. When the CPU to FSB ratio is high, the processor often has to wait for data to be sent out over the system bus before getting new data to process. For this reason, the FSB can be a bottleneck in a computer's performance. So if you are looking for a fast computer, don't just check the processor speed, but find out what the frontside bus speed is as well.

What is more important as related to the Mach3 spec., Processor speed or the FSB speed ?

Nothing on Solid State HD's,
Much on minimum specs., not much on preferred makes/models.
Guess they ALL will work fine.
OK, will just take a shot and try any one of em'.
Thanks,
Russ
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:56:36 PM by Overloaded »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
You answered your own question(;-)

Faster cpu are a bonus BUT only if you can still get all the work down the pipe. The same problems exist with full size PCs.

FInd the best compromise for the money you have to spend.

Most use a mini HD from a laptop, Solid state will work BUT be aware of the compromises in solid state HDs. MORE READING.

I would seriously think about using a complete built system over a pieced together best guess system of unknown compatibilty.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
So then, references made regarding Mach3 and required/recommended processor speed are actually referring to the FSB speed ?

Also, earlier (few years back), I thought I had the perfect solution. Ample speed, good graphics..... Super deal at WalMart. Complete System ... Brand New Unit ... All specs. perfect ... EMachines ready to go. When mentioned, I got "Don't be so DAFT, don't even consider it !.

Pot luck I recon

Thanks TP, I'll do a bit more reading.
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »
NO that is not what I said. It is the relationship ratio between the two, CPU and FSB. It does no good to have a 1000Ghz cpu and a 33mhz FSB. the log jam will be the FSB as far as total ouput speed.

Part of that is the problem I see sometimes where any CB activity tends to jam up a system. AND where sometimes MACH3 runs CB in hyperspeed and skips over things.

ALSO built in graphics are NOT a big problem ALL my machines had "BIG" but they had ample memory and cpu speed to handle it. Where it normall shops up as a [roblem is with older MBs with borderline slow CPU and low mem. The added drain for the graphics killed the process.
Now with full size PCs you have to watch for the manf to add on HELP features that aliow them to fix your puter online. Some of these processes are added to the kernal of windows and you cannot remove them without doing a complete format and reloading of windows WITHOUT the extra processes.  Show up in the Mach3 driver test as BAD interruptions at times.

THEN you have the power saving features such as throttleable CPUs that can vary speed vs load. and those that want to sleep all the time .

I had talked to ART one time about the perfect MB combo for MAch3. He said he could only give info for things he had used personally as there were FAR to many combinations  to try and sort out and by the time you had it sorted everything had changed again so it was pointless and almost impossible to keep track of.

Just a thought or 5, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:51:01 PM by BR549 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
You may want to cruise over to the linuxCNC site and do a search as THEY have to have a very stable MB to do the realtime work that LinuxCNC does. So that would translate to a very stable mach3 platform as well.

BUT seeing as you are going to use an outside motion controller almost anything stable should work as the MB is just idling most of the time.

(;-) TP