Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 12:41:21 PM

Author Topic: Print file to CAD/Gcode  (Read 2265 times)

Print file to CAD/Gcode
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:23:23 AM »
I have this crazy idea in my head but I am not the most computer savvy person so I figured might as well ask on here to see if this is even possible. I would like to find out if it is possible to intercept a file being sent to a printer and be able to translate the file back into CAD. I am thinking that the information being sent to the printer is similar to a Gcode so the printer knows where to place the ink and feed the paper while a document is being printed. I know this part would be a stretch but would it be possible that when a different color ink is called for that could translate to a new layer in CAD. Any thoughts or ideas?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Print file to CAD/Gcode
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:02:42 AM »
It's called backplotting. I will assume that the file type you are talking about has gcode.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »
Rich

Thanks for the reply. Backplotting is not what I am trying to do, I know NCplot will backplot a Gcode. Here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish. Take a catalog of picture frame mouldings with various profiles and import the profile data into CAD in order to create a Gcode. I figure if a printer can print the catalog then there must be a way to import the printer coordinates into CAD.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
You are not the first to think of that trick.. You print the file out as a plot file or HPGL print file then import the hpgl to CAM then back out as a DXF.

Just a thought, (;-) TP