Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:20:22 AM

Author Topic: trying to hook up external button to output 3  (Read 2458 times)

trying to hook up external button to output 3
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
Hi guys... Next silly newbie question....

I am making good progress getting this atc router working but a bit stuck trying to get the external button on the spindle to release the tool.
I have searched and found that I need to wire this external button to a spare input on my BOB then connect this to an oem trigger and use the correct oem code to activate the output.  As directed in this link:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach_mill/94502-mach_3_cycle_start_button.html

I am not quite sure where I am going wrong but think it maybe that I am using the wrong oem code. I have found the most recent oem code list but cannot find one for turn on output 3. There are codes for output 4+ on and off but the best I could find was Output 3/Extrn3 Active LED 854  both in the spread sheet and wiki.

So here is where I am at so far:

Oem trig #2 mapped to port 2 pin 2
The tool release is mapped to output 3 port 2 pin 14
OEM trigger connected to OEM code 854

The fact that the codes for triggers one two and three are not easy to find makes me think they are not for general use? Do I need to rewire to use another output? Have I missed something blindingly simple?

Lastly once I get this to work can I expect it to only activate the output as long as the button is held in or will it act like a toggle needing one press to release the clamp and one to close it?

Any help is much appreciated as my hair is fast being pulled out!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: trying to hook up external button to output 3
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »
Best idea would be to use a Brain, have it look at your input and switch on your output when its seen.
You could probably work out a way to latch it but would just be easiest I think to have a latching switch.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:19:30 AM »
AN excuse to try to make my first Brain!!!!

Funny thing was I was watching the vids after finishing that post to try to work out the difference between a macro pump and Brain... Not really sure when to use either but at least I feel that i can make a basic Brain!

I do not need the switch to be latching as the tool holder clamp needs to release just long enough to let the tool holder drop into my hand so having a button non latching was a better option. I was only asking to stay ahead of any issues 

I have a traffic light that came with the control cabinet that I was intending to leave not connected but looking more at brains I think this could be an easy solution but don’t worry expect more newbie questions soon  :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:29:42 AM by jestah »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »
Brains are probably easier for most than a macropump as you need to know a bit of VB for the macropump. Also a macropump soon gets bloated and slow if you have a lot in it where Brains dont. Problem with Brains is if you have a lot in them they are hard to read as the graphics interface for them  is very basic and things get compressed so much you cant really see whats in them. In that situation it ois ften better to make a few smaller Brains instead of the one big one and there doesnt seem to be any performance hit by doing so.
Hood