Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:59:01 AM

Author Topic: initial setup - getting motors to move with G540  (Read 4637 times)

initial setup - getting motors to move with G540
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:53:15 AM »
I'm just working on getting my system setup that I got from CNCRouterParts, but having problems getting the steppers to move.  Here is what I have:
- G540 with four Nema23 380oz/in steppers (The steppers are pre-installed with the correct resistors.)
- Desktop machine running Win XP SP3
- SIIG CyberParallel PCI Card

I've started with the default G540 config file and only had to modify the port 1 address so far.  (config file is attached)
- The DriverTest says 'excellent' and has a steady bar
- The G540 shows a green light and responds appropriately to the eStop button
- The motors go into holding mode when I power up the G540
- If mach is in ready mode and I hit the eStop, Mach detects the change.  I can not reset mach until I first reconnect my eStop.  So that all seems fine.
- eStop status also shows correctly in the diag screen in mach
- I've verified that my parallel cable is straight through on all of the pins
- In Mach the coordinates change when I use the arrow keys
- I've verified the motor step pins & ports and the Dir pins and ports

So I know my basic connection between Mach and the G540 is working because of the eStop, but I don't know why I can't get the steppers to move.

Thanks in advance.  I'm sure there is just some setting I need to tweak or something.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: initial setup - getting motors to move with G540
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:04:37 AM »
All seems to be fine in the xml. Have a look on the diagnostics page and see if there is a frequency showing and a Time in int.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:22:47 PM »
In the diag screen the Pulse Frequency is at 35131 and the 'Time in Init' fluctuates between +6 and 9.2 or so when the G540 is in ready state.  If I fault the G540 (hit the emergency button) then the Time in Int changes between 5.8 and 7.5.  When I press the reset button in Mach the Pulse Frequency drops down a couple of points then returns to 35131.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »
That should be fine.
Whats going on I am unsure, can you unplug the parallel port cable from your Gecko and test with a voltmeter between Dir pins and a Gnd pin as you jog each axis back and forth. You should see the voltage change between 0 and 5v depending on the direction you are jogging. You will need to change the active state of the E-Stop in Mach so that you can reset with the cable unplugged.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
The pin just stays at 5V all the time, even when I try jogging.  Makes me wonder if the parallel card is bad.  I did find other posts where people used this one successfully, but it is an old card.  Or could I have an incorrect setting in the 'Port Settings' for the parallel port?  Right now I have these defaults:
- Filter Resources Method = "Never us an interrupt"  (other choices are "Try not to use an interrupt" or "Use any interrupt assigned to the port"
- Enable Legacy Plug and Play detection is disabled
- LPT Port Number is LPT1 (Although I don't think this matter as long as I use the correct port address in Mach, which I'm pretty sure I have correct, because definitely has some connectivity.)

Thoughts?  Try a different parallel card?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:49:28 AM »
Assuming you have the orientation of the cable correct so you are checking the correct pins then it sounds as if there is either an issue with the port or your addressing of it.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »
Picked up a new parallel card today and got it working!  Thanks for the help!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:15:43 AM »
Good to hear :)
Hood