Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:17:09 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 controlling CO2 Laser - progress and some tips on alignment  (Read 8623 times)

I've been using Mach3 to control a home built laser engraver.

Some people have asked for more information on the trials and tribulations of laser alignment so I put together a movie about it.

It's long (8 minutes) but (hopefully) there's some good info in it - I've been working with lasers of all kinds for many years and this is the technique that works best for me.

http://www.stephenhobley.com/blog/2012/11/26/new-co2-laser-cutter-engraver/

Questions welcome!

Steve

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 controlling CO2 Laser - progress and some tips on alignment
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
Hi Steve,

Excellent work with the laser building and beam alignment / setup video etc.

If  I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, there is just one additional test that you perhaps may want to add to your alignment video – that the laser beam exits the nozzle at 90 degrees to the work table in both planes.

This, to a large extent, is determined by the position at which the beam hits the final mirror and it is easily checked by placing a piece of acrylic on it’s side on the work table in line with the X axis and firing the laser into it then checking that the resultant cut / hole is in fact square (and repeated again for the Y axis plane).

If this aspect is not set correctly then any thicker parts cut will not have vertical sides so IMO it is an important part of the alignment process.

Keep up the laser work and I look forward to seeing some more pictures / postings of the things that you make with it.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Mach3 controlling CO2 Laser - progress and some tips on alignment
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
I didn't quite understand from your description but your picture made it very clear - makes perfect sense - thanks!