Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:27:46 AM

Author Topic: Pokeys55 matrix keyboard  (Read 4467 times)

Pokeys55 matrix keyboard
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »
Hello all,
I need some help getting a Pokeys55 setup with an 8 x 8 keypad.
I have loaded the pokeys plug in & can access the device fine. However I only have the IO functions to choose from. I cannot access the button drop down.

I'm using the Pokeys-Polabs-v0.01 plug in.
Mach3 Demo Version R3.043.066

Thanks
Re: Pokeys55 matrix keyboard
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:47:14 AM »
After thinking about for a bit I figured it out.
I removed the plugin for the Pokeys & then configured it using the pokey software. Wrote macros to handle the alt functions & everything works great.
Since I only want to use the pokeys to simulate a keyboard, this was the best solution.

For my MPG pendant, I bought individual parts & wired it like CNCfoPC's MPG2 & used their C22 LPT interface card.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
Matrix keyboard configuration is pretty simple from the plugin - matrix keyboard connections must first be specified in the 'Matrix keyboard' tab (keyboard size, row and column pins), then to configure the mapping, go to 'Mapping' tab and scroll down to see the 'Matrix keyboard' settings.
Regarding the MPG - PoKeys also supports MPGs (encoders). To setup them, go to 'Encoders' tab and specify the encoder settings.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
Neo,

I would like to use the Pokeys55 for everything. I've read everything I can, but i'm getting frustrated with the lack of documentation regarding the proper mapping of IO pins to specific Mach functions. You make it sound so easy.

Questions;
1) When setting up the MPG encoder channels A & B in the Pokeys Plugin, what do I select for the IO.
2) What do I use for MPG1 settings on the encoders tab in Mach. (Ive seen some people use 10 for the port & nothing for the pins? Are you supposed to put a port# as if I was using a parallel port?)
3) Also regarding the MPG, I've seen posts about mapping to encoder 4, do I need this?
4) What does the pendant mode check box at the bottom of the Pokeys plugin screen do?

Thanks for the help in advance. It will be great to wire everything up in one box & just run a USB cable.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:01:05 AM »
Answers;
1) Select PoKeys pin ID from the list for the A and B channels where you have connected your MPG to.
2) No need to set anything in the Mach3 encoder settings. Leave it on default. There are no port and pins configurations in PoKeys device and no mapping to parallel port should be specified.
3) map the MPG to MPG1,2 or 3
4) From the manual:
Plugin supports the usage of pendant with activation switch. If such pendant is connected to PoKeys,
'Pendant mode' should be enabled (checkbox at the bottom  of the 'PoKeys mapping' dialog). In this
mode, jog action will be deactivated when the activation switch is released and will be automatically
activated when there is a signal detected for both the axis and step selection.

This means that if you have a multiple selector switch for axis (0,X,Y,Z) and step (x1,x10,x100), jogging will be selected if you switch over to one of the axis and will be deactivated when you switch back to 0 (or pressing and depressing activation/dead-man switch).
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope