Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:27:42 AM

Author Topic: How are folks Homing the Slaved Axes when using a Smoothstepper ?  (Read 12655 times)

How are folks Homing the Slaved Axes when using a Smoothstepper ?  Particularly the Ethernet version of the SS.

I've read the Slaved Axis Homing feature of the SmoothStepper has some issues so I'm wondering what the alternatives are for homing that axis.    

Is anyone with a slaved axis using the SS's?  

I read on another forum someone was powering off their motor driver power supplies, grabbing the gantry and pulling it into the hard stops while turning the power supply back on and hitting the reference Home button.   Is that normal ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:36:35 PM by pkren54 »
Re: How are folks Homing the Slaved Axes when using a Smoothstepper ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
Hello, I'm using ESS with C32 and slaved axis with two motors on the x axis with no problems at all.

Peter

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
Are you homing the slaved axis to two separate switches? I know of at least one person who says it doesn't work correctly. And this has been a recurring theme sine the the first SS was released.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
Yes, thanks Peter.    I've read where some didn't get it to work, it would be good to hear from some folks that did manage to get it all working.   
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 02:31:37 AM »
Hello Garry,

I'm using only one home switch for slave axis.

Peter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:40:51 AM »
I find that the speed/% of the homing is critical, Duel switches work on my large gantry router, but there was a dance between setting the speeds and debounce setting. My screen set's settings page has LED's that show when the switches are made. I just kept testing till I found a sweet spot.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »
I find that the speed/% of the homing is critical, Duel switches work on my large gantry router, but there was a dance between setting the speeds and debounce setting. My screen set's settings page has LED's that show when the switches are made. I just kept testing till I found a sweet spot.

So your using an ESS, and you can home a slaved axis with 2 switches? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »
Ya-Nvr-No, good to hear you have it running.   I'm curious which type of homing switches you're using, mechanical, hall effect, optical switches, etc. ?   

I've been wondering if perhaps the Hall effect magnetic switches might work well since there's usually some built in hysteresis that might help prevent bouncing/debouncing issues when the switch initially trips.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:12:35 PM »
Just a couple of small adjustable micro limit switches with the rollerball on the lever end. NC looking for an open signal on X and slaved C axis. Found I could not go real slow. Set to about 30% for homing. It is around 300# 6 foot gantry w/ATC  and a 24 inch Z travel slide. So have no idea what a small machine might need.

I'm just letting ya know it does work, at least for my application.
Good Luck

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Mine is working fine also.

ESS, two motors and two switches on X axis.
Running the latest version of Mach3 and ESS.

Ray