Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:21:14 PM

Author Topic: Which Galil to use??  (Read 4058 times)

Which Galil to use??
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »
I Have Mitsubishi MR-J2S-40A Drive and corresponding motors. What would be the easiest controller to use with them and Mach 3?
Thanks.
" I'm not crazy, but may be a carrier"

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Which Galil to use??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
If the drives will accept +-10v command signals or Step and Dir signals, any of the recent Galils will work.  I like to stick with the Ethernet controllers.  21x3, 41x3, 21x0, 22x0, 40x0, etc...  Just get on with enough axes to run your machine + one more to drive your spindle (if you so desire).

Steve
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »
Thanks, Now my next question is, How hard is it to set up the Galil controllers? Do they require some sort of programming. The web site boast's that they are easy with 2 letter commands, but this will be my first experience.
Thanks to all who respond, and hope you have a joyful holiday season.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »
If you are running the analog type servo drives, then you will have to tune the PID loop (KP, KI, and KD) for each axis in the Galil.  Other than that, the plugin takes care of the rest unless you go off doing fancy tool changer code or something of the like on the Galil.  And if you are going to setup an Ethernet controller, the IP information will need to be set as well.  For "normal" installations, no other Galil programming is required.

Steve
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
The drives are Mitsubishi MR-J2S, which use a  + or - 10v signal, I assume that this would be analog?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 06:46:37 AM »
the j2s-40a drives work perfectly in step/direction mode so no galil controller is required
(only every buy the a suffix models for cnc work as the b, c, cp etc are no use at all for cnc work)
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!