Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:36:44 AM

Author Topic: Losing Steps on x  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Losing Steps on x
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »
John it is the latest lockdown as of 11/24/2012. It all works great except this issue. I am not sure if it is a Mach or Cad/Cam problem. I just know it is A problem. Tweakie just suggested it as a possibility. I have to rule out all variables. It is just odd as my machine seems to operate smoothly and controllably in all axis otherwise. I see nothing in the code that looks suspicious. The line where the loss of position occurs is no different. This particular hole pattern is 2 rows of 4 holes. Parallel and symmetrically spaced. Seems like the other transitions would be affected too but they are not.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
Re: Losing Steps on x
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
The reason I asked is that ever since I started using the later development versions to be able to use M10/M11 codes with my laser diode machine, I have experienced similar issues infrequently.  For no apparent reason, Mach will suddenly lose steps on a normal gcode line (ex. - G1 X0 Y0) that has worked flawlessly earlier in the same file.  Shutting down and restarting Mach sometimes helps, sometimes not. It is certainly not my controller or settings as I tried all the steps already recommended to you, and they do not help.  The problem seems random and unpredictable.  My opinion is that Mach is suddenly issuing step signals that ignore the feed rate as well as max. velocity settings.  I know it is not my code, as it only uses G1 commands for moves, but I don't know if it might be related to the use of the M10/M11 commands.

I am using a Dell Optiplex GX270 with pport- perhaps that's the commonality?

Hopefully someone else has seen similar behavior and will post about it.

Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Losing Steps on x
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »
Is yours doing the same error in the same location? Mine is consistent. The optiplex was being used. I brought the power spec back from the dead to test as it has all of the minimum requirements Mach needs. The optiplex didn't have a separate graphics card. It didn't perform any different either.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
Try using the latest developement Ver as a test.   OR back up in versions to see if it changes.  Some DELLS are known to be incompatible with MACH3.

There used to be the same type bug with the Z axis. While drilling it would ignore the Velocity/acell  parameters and TRIP the Z axis servo drive.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:55:12 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »
I just came across this post because I too am having the same exact problem.  I'm losing steps on my X axis.  This wasn't always happening.  My speed is not jacked way up either. Problem just started last night.  I noticed it when I was vcarving a job and it was doing a multipass vcarve circle.  The start and endpoints don't line up.  The vcarve lettering looks horrible as well.  I thought it might be a loose motor coupling but I ruled that out.  Problem only seems to be with the X axis for me. It took a 3rd reboot and I was able to get a good run.

I'm also using the Gecko G540 controller.  My computer is an older GATEWAY pc.  I think I purchased it around 2005.  It has an onboard factory oem parallel port. I'm already using an aftermarket video card.  If I recall, it's a Nvidia Geforce FX-5500.  I'm running Mach 3 3.042.020     I'm going to try upgrading it to the latest Mach version tonight and also pull out the wireless NIC card in it.  The PC is dedicated to just my cnc.  It's a fresh install with Windows XP Pro SP3. No windows updates have been performed on the machine.  It's not connected to the internet and hasn't been in quite some time.  The wireless NIC just happens to be in it from the old days.

I will post back sometime tonight if the above helped. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:50:15 PM by Rotax91 »

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
The power spec is doing the exact same thing as the Dell. The Power Spec is running an AMD Semperon 3100+ 1.8Ghz 1.25G Ram HT1600 motherboard, 500g Sata HD, 8400GS 256MB graphics card, XP Pro SP3 with the latest updates. Very lite SW wise. XP Pro and Mach 3. Also a dedicated PC for machine use.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Not read through this post but a few things come to mind. Have you tried increasing the pulse width? Have you tried changing the Active state for the Step pin?
Assuming you are using the PP for the pulse width.
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
Hood, I have tried lengthening the pulse width with no change. I have not changed the state of the step pin however why would it only fault at 1 time after 2700 lines of similar code? I am using a PP.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »
Hey John,
 Have you ruled out everything mechanical ?
A tight spot in the X at the problem area maybe ?
Can you do manual fast multiple axis jogs everywhere with no problems ?
Power supply ?

Didn't see these mentioned.
Russ

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Losing Steps on x
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
Russ any input is good. It is a new PS 48v/12A, PMDX-126, 5056D's. During calibration I was running speeds up to 331ipm with no measurable loss of position (with my .0005 indicator). I ran many warm up wizards at that speed though during rapids the max speed is divided by how many axis are in motion. Still no loss. As the holes have 2 rows parallel I would have suspected an error in the transition from 2-3 also had the carriage or gibs been too tight. I did spend considerable time trying to adjust all gibs with an indicator. All of my fasteners are tight. I do have the typical backlash of a linearmotion2008 ballscrew, somewhere in the .002-.003 per axis. Backlash comp deals with it spectacularly.