Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:51:45 PM

Author Topic: Losing Steps on x  (Read 9877 times)

Losing Steps on x
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me a few ideas to try.  I am out of ideas for fixing this problem. Here's some background on my machine. I run a gecko540 using a parallel port. I had issues with my first machine because it didnt have a parallel port, so I had to add a card with a parallel port. The problem was that that machine only uses PCIe. All the cards that are PCIe dont work well with my geck540. So I decided to upgrade to an older machine with a parallel port.

So here is my problem. WIth the new machine, my machine loses steps to the left somewhere in the middle of cutting. I take that same gcode, and run it on my old machine (after I plug it back in) and it doesnt lose steps. So its not the gcode or the physical CNC. There has to be something wrong with the other machine. I have no idea where to start. I am using the same mach file from one machine to the other, so the settings are all exactly the same.

Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Steps on x
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
If your new (old) PC has onboard graphics that could cause a problem - fitting a graphics card could be the way to go.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »
Tweakie, I too have experienced this or a similar issue in 1 of my set ups. This is the only variable I didnt accept. I figured if it would run mach, good enough. But there is something subtly different. In my case reducing speeds did help but I dont find it an acceptable solution. I think I still have an extra card around here somewhere.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
I have a card at home I can try. Lets hope this works.  Any idea why this causes a problem?

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
   I replaced 3 of my PC's after a failure of an old power spec I had been using to run a mill via mach. That power spec had the max of ram and an extra graphics card. Ran flawlessly too. The replacements I used are Dell Optiplex GX280's. They do run Mach however I have had issues that never existed before, like the loss of steps at seemingly reasonable speeds. Oddly enough if IIRC, it was always in the X axis too. I liked the replacements for their slimmer form factor which I hope doesnt turn out to be a PIA. No real investment as I do use older computers.

At this moment I am powering up the old power spec to find out what had failed, then repair it and run a test. It was an intermittent issue I think. The more I thnk about it, I had just implemented 1 of these computers on a different machine and was loosing steps there but abandoned it for a while to play with the G0704. If that is in fact the culprit it is best anyway. The threads I read on machine set up and tuning only made my understanding and operation of the machines that much better. There has to be easier ways to learn it though.   
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:12:44 AM »
I have a card at home I can try. Lets hope this works.  Any idea why this causes a problem?

When using an LPT Parallel Port, Mach3 takes control of the Win OS in order to output it's pulse train (step and direction signals) and if the PC has other refresh / update priorities there can be a conflict. Any interruption in this pulse train can lead to lost steps so fitting a graphics card can reduce the loading on the OS.

The definitive explanation is probably a lot more complicated than this but it is more or less the gist of it.  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »
Thanks tweakie, that helps. Do you guys think adding a wireless network card could cause issues also? I forgot that I added that also to the machine.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
Thanks tweakie, that helps. Do you guys think adding a wireless network card could cause issues also? I forgot that I added that also to the machine.

In my opinion yes, but like all things, I think you just have to try removing it and see if the problem goes away.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Losing Steps on x
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
Well over the last few days I have installed a new CPU fan and hard drive. Fresh install of XP in the new drive along with Mach. Followed all optimization tips. Running a separate graphics card as required. I still get this weird loss of position in between the finish pass of holes 6 & 7 of 8. The rapids should be the same between all holes and no errors occur til line 2700 or so.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
What version of Mach are you using?  If not the lockdown version, try that.
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com