Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:29:45 AM

Author Topic: Ethernet and computer question  (Read 9772 times)

Ethernet and computer question
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
New guy in the planning stages here. I’m thinking about converting my Supermax with Anilam control to MACH3 using an Ethernet Smoothstepper to control the various drives and I/O. I’ll be using a dedicated computer for the machine control but would like to connect it to the network for file transfers from the other computers running Dolphin CAD/CAM. Should there be 2 Ethernet cards in the machines computer, one dedicated to the Smoothstepper, and one to the main network so other network traffic doesn’t interfere with the machine control. Is that even possible? Any recommendations for a compact computer for in the machine? Thanks Bob
Re: Ethernet and computer question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
I think the SmoothStepper requires a dedicated port.  I think I remember reading something about that.  I'm in the process of setting up an industrial PC on a ESS.  I chose a PC with two Ethernet ports.  It's a single board PC designed for industrial use.  With Win7 embedded, it was around $1300.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
I have all my machines networked to my desktop computer via an 8 port router. I use the ESS on the big lathe and it uses a Via Pico mobo so only one ethernet port and no PCI slots so I used a USB to Ethernet adapter for the network and its fine. On the machine I am currently doing (Chiron FZ12) I will be using a CSMIO/IP-A  which again is connected by ethernet to Mach but I will be using an Atom mini ITX mobo which has a PCI slot so will be using a PCI network card in that for the network.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
Installing a 2nd ethernet card is very simple provided you have an open PCI slot. If you have a standard tower then just find a NIC (ethernet) card that fits the open slots. Computer guys usually have tons of these laying around and will probably give you one. I know I have about 3 or 4 layingg around and have thrown several away just because I had too many. Install the card and the driver and you should be good to go.

I have no experience with the Smoothstepper so I can't answer as to any issues there.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
I think I go with an Intel D2500cce as it has the ports I need and not to many extra I don't. What's your thoughts on a conventional hard drive vs one of the new solid state ones?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
Conventional hard drives last longer, and are cheaper.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
Solid state will last longer in a harsh industrial environment.  Moving parts vs no moving parts...logic dictates that solid state would be be better.  We have had conventional HD's fail in non temp controlled shop environments. 
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
DD hard drives hold up better in harsher environments but don't last as long. SS drives use wear leveling to evenly distribute wear. I have hard drives that are over 10 years old and still spinning along. Can't say the same for USB flash drives, and they aren't used every day.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
..... while on the subject of drives, looking to build a compact control cabinet, any experience with using a HDD from a laptop ? Are these long lasting and robust enough ? Lord knows some laptops take quite a licking .... and keep on ticking.  (sorry Timex)

Thanks,
Russ
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »
............  I will be using an Atom mini ITX mobo  ............
Hood

Hi Hood,
   Care to expand on which particular model you chose ?
I am in the process of obtaining one also and am considering the one Graham used with his CSMIO.

Thanks,
Russ
 :)