Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:12:50 PM

Author Topic: I'm unable to edit my G-codes from Mach3  (Read 6964 times)

I'm unable to edit my G-codes from Mach3
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »
While running my program, I dicvered an error in my G-code (M04 instead of an M03) I clicked on the "edit g-code" icon, and my g-code opened up in MS word (I think) After changing the bad command, I clicked on "save", but an error window pooped up disallowing me. In the past I've been able to do edits, but for some reason I can't anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you, Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: I'm unable to edit my G-codes from Mach3
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
Was it definitely Word, its normally Notepad but will depend on what you have set up.
What was the error message and was it a windows one or a Mach one?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
It's a windows error saying "make sure the path and file name are correct" !! I printed the screen, but don't know how to post it on here.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
you may get an error if use the save command from the menus using notepad. After you edit the code click on the exit button (red box in the top right hand corner of the screen) and the save prompt will appear. Click save and it will exit to the mach screen with the alterations saved.

This may not be the problem you have, but try it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:39:17 PM by angel tech »
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »
Nope !! It still wont let me. tell me if this makes any sense !!
I do my drawings in my house on the home computer. I then save the g-code on a file I share with the computer on my milling machine which is connected by a lan wire in my garage. Is it possible that it wont let me because i'm not on the computer that originally created the G-code?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
quite possible, as it needs to save to the original and doesn't have the access. Try transferring the file to the gcode directory in the machine computer and running it from there.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
Dan,
Are your gcode files somehow being marked "Read Only"?

Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
Dan,
Are your gcode files somehow being marked "Read Only"?

Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com

Possibly !! I'm not a computer whiz, but do have basic know how. How could I check that? it almost seems like that seems to be the problem
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
I copied the .TAP file (g-code) and pasted it on my desktop. I opened the file through Mach3, and loaded it from the desktop. I was able to edit it. Thanks guys !! I feel stupid !! I guess I couldn't edit the file, because it ( I assume ) is actually on the computer in my house.